lpa

bagee

Jun 2, 2015
Hi all, Hope you are all well.
I posted this query somewhere else by mistake as I was reading a few posts.
I,m looking for a bit of advice if anyone has come across something similar.
I have power of attorney for mum because of her alzheimers, I have dealt with everything for her for years prior because she is totally deaf.
She had a small life insurance policy which the family agreed we,d pay up to date and surrender when we wanted to pre pay funeral plan. I have attempted to surrender the policy but the company is hesistant with me. They say they must release the cheque to mum, I have explained she doesn,t hold a bank account any longer! They suggest I wait till all her assests are due upon death, she has no assets, we pay towards care. Then I,ve got to get her to open a bank account, she can,t!! I have sent power of attorney to them, they have been sending mums mail to me for over a year and since the policy was taken out they know I have been spokeswoman for countless years. They say they cannot put cheque in my name. Has anyone else had any similar problems and if so could you advise me please. Many thanks in advance.
Oh nearly forgot they said they didn,t know mum was in nursing care and I know I advised everyone when mum moved there, how else would I be receiving mail to my address if they hadn,t been told? Thanks

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
if all else fails it will be due to her estate when she eventually passes away.

Surely your mum has an account of her own somewhere? Don't you have POA over an existing account that she has, or do all her funds gets paid to you, in your name ( which i'd have thought unusual)

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You can use the LPA to open a bank account effectively in her name, it will actually be something like bagee POA mum

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Hi all, Hope you are all well.
I posted this query somewhere else by mistake as I was reading a few posts.
I,m looking for a bit of advice if anyone has come across something similar.
I have power of attorney for mum because of her alzheimers, I have dealt with everything for her for years prior because she is totally deaf.
She had a small life insurance policy which the family agreed we,d pay up to date and surrender when we wanted to pre pay funeral plan. I have attempted to surrender the policy but the company is hesistant with me. They say they must release the cheque to mum, I have explained she doesn,t hold a bank account any longer! They suggest I wait till all her assests are due upon death, she has no assets, we pay towards care. Then I,ve got to get her to open a bank account, she can,t!! I have sent power of attorney to them, they have been sending mums mail to me for over a year and since the policy was taken out they know I have been spokeswoman for countless years. They say they cannot put cheque in my name. Has anyone else had any similar problems and if so could you advise me please. Many thanks in advance.
Oh nearly forgot they said they didn,t know mum was in nursing care and I know I advised everyone when mum moved there, how else would I be receiving mail to my address if they hadn,t been told? Thanks

Hi...I replied on the thread you originally posted on

bagee

Jun 2, 2015
if all else fails it will be due to her estate when she eventually passes away.

Surely your mum has an account of her own somewhere? Don't you have POA over an existing account that she has, or do all her funds gets paid to you, in your name ( which i'd have thought unusual)

Hi Jessbow, Thanks for reply. Mum has a small pension going through my account as we had an issue regarding a loan she had, she just didn,t have the funds to pay it, bank closed account after they looked into her situation.
I,ll check with my bank and open an account in her name if need be. It gets paid in her name, I pay care bill through dd.

bagee

Jun 2, 2015
You can use the LPA to open a bank account effectively in her name, it will actually be something like bagee POA mum

Hi Nitram. Thanks for your reply. I,m off in the morning to make arrangements and get it sorted. I just thought it was a bit silly when they have a copy of the poa and all correspondence comes here etc, albeit it,s addressed to mum.
Thanks once again.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
It may be worth ringing the bank before you go and making an appointment, not all bank employees understand LPAs.
Ask them what proof of identity and address they need for both you and your mum. Your mum's may be difficult but something like a letter from the care home saying she is a resident and a letter from the DWP should suffice. Talk it over before you go.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ian.Hogan