• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can now be found in our new area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

    You can directly access this area >here<.


Dog Lady

Registered User
Dec 22, 2014
Myself and my husband want to see about getting both types of LPA for my MIL. The problem that we have is that she is house bound and recently moved (April).
If I am right you have to have a non family member that has known the person for 2 years or longer, to sign the form. We have no one as she doesn't leave the house, go to the Drs or have any friends. The only people she sees are myself, my DH and the Tesco delivery drivers.
Is there a way of getting the LPA without a solicitor as her memory is going and will probably forget whats going on before any appointment.

Dog Lady


Registered User
May 21, 2014
It doesn't have to be a personal friend, it can also be a GP, social worker or solicitor who is satisfied that the donor still has the necessary capacity to grant an LPA. Naturally, this can cost fees and might not be successful if they are not convinced of the capacity.


Registered User
Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
You could contact the OPG Helpline , I'll get the number for you

Here it is
Contact the Office of the Public Guardian to get details of organisations that can help you use the online service if:

you don’t have a computer or internet access
you want to use the online service but need some help
Office of the Public Guardian customerservices@publicguardian.gsi.gov.uk
Telephone: 0300 456 0300
Textphone: 0115 934 2778
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, 9am to 5pm
Wednesday, 10am to 5pm
Find out about call charges
Last edited: