LPA

Margaret Cymru

May 11, 2021
Does anyone know if I am able to put an LPA Health and Welfare in place when my husband is not mentally stable enough to know what he is signing. He doesn't know who I am any more so might not sign anything because he will think I'm up to something.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Hi @Margaret Cymru I think you may be too late. The LPA has to be signed in front of a witness, someone who has known your husband for 2 years I think and there also has to be a certificate provider who is just someone who would speak to your husband to make sure that he understands what he is doing. I used dads neighbours for his LPA, some people pay a solicitor but that is not really necessary. It can be friends or neighbours but not immediate relatives. If your husband thinks you are up to something then he really doesn't understand fully what he is doing.

Wait and see what others have to say because you might get some other answers that are more helpful than mine.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You don't put an LPA in place, your husband grants it to you whilst he retains capacity.
Your assessment of his capacity

my husband is not mentally stable enough to know what he is signing.
means that, unless he has moments of clarity, your only route is Court of Protection Deputy

thistlejak

Jun 6, 2020
Just for information Health and welfare Deputyship is rarely granted and is only done on an issue by issue basis.

Margaret Cymru

May 11, 2021
Hi. Thanks for the response. I never gave an LPA a thought to be honest because, as you say, it would have been up to my husband, but the clinic said I should get one in place. Maybe they didn't realise how disorientated he is but I definitely think it's much too late. Thanks

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976