LPA what to expect?

lol68

Oct 17, 2015
Hello All,
Last week I received my Mums registered LPA. I have an appointment with the bank tomorrow to register it with them.
What should I expect? Will I just be able to apply for internet banking for my Mum so that I can take some control when she needs it (At the moment she is ok with money, just keeps signing up to insurances and schemes when she gets cold callers!!). I don't want to stop mum being able to spend her money but I also don't want companies taking advantage of her. Its just really hard to cancel these mistakes as companies wont speak to me to cancel due to data protection.

Thanks for reading

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Hello All,
Last week I received my Mums registered LPA. I have an appointment with the bank tomorrow to register it with them.
What should I expect? Will I just be able to apply for internet banking for my Mum so that I can take some control when she needs it (At the moment she is ok with money, just keeps signing up to insurances and schemes when she gets cold callers!!). I don't want to stop mum being able to spend her money but I also don't want companies taking advantage of her. Its just really hard to cancel these mistakes as companies wont speak to me to cancel due to data protection.

Thanks for reading

You should be able to arrange internet banking and may be able to limit cash withdrawals for your mum. However if she still has active debit or credit cards in her own name I don't know how you can prevent her signing up to things. It's often suggested that you scratch off the 3-digit code on the back of cards (after making a note of it) as this stops telephone-based sales going through, but I don't think it's needed if someone comes to the door.

If you have the LPA registered then you can I think cancel direct debits and stop cheques etc but you would have to keep a close eye on the accounts as you say.

Could you limit the numbers of callers by using one of the notices you can get from Trading Standards for the front door to say no cold callers? Or try one of the phone filtering gadgets like TrueCall to stop sales calls getting through?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa