LPA for Property and Finance

Eliza11

Apr 30, 2019
Hi
We have the above in place to cover my Mum who was diagnosed with early stage dementia in 2016. At present our intention is to keep my Mum at home and pay for care when she eventually needs it. My question is if things get really bad and she needs to go into a care home does the LPA cover us to protect my Mum's property from social services putting a charge on her home ?
Thanks

Dosey

Nov 27, 2017
Hi Eliza11
If your mum is the sole owner and lives alone they will take her home into financial assessment for care funding. If her husband is living there (if she has one) they will not sell the family home unless he goes into care. That's what I was told my husband went into care 2nd April this year. Not sure if I was to sell if they would take part of this. I am not planning to leave my home so not worried. There should be someone with more knowledge on this on TP. Sorry can't be of any further help.
Rose

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
The house is not included in an assessment if a spouse or dependant over 60 is still living in it. If your mother's home is empty or rented out then it will be included. Are you getting all the financial help available via Attendance Alloance and council tax disregard?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
No, the LPA will not protect your mother's property from being used in paying for her care - that only happens if someone qualifying will continue to live in it. Be grateful she has assets, it will give her greater choice.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Eliza11 and welcome

as you only mention your mum, I assume she lives alone

in a financial assessment for care at home, the house is disregarded and the assessment will look at her income and savings; over a certain level she will be required to pay for care ie be self-funding, otherwise the LA will also contribute

for residential care, the financial assessment will take into account all her income and assets ie savings, investments and property ... as she has property, she will self-fund her care ... if her income is sufficient to cover the fees, the property need nor be sold; if not, the Attorney can sell the house, rent it out or enter into a deferred payment scheme with the LA
more details are on these pages from the main AS site
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/legal-financial/who-pays-care

the LPAs require that the Attorney manage the donor's finances in the best interests of the donor, both financial and re welfare, so while it's important to conserve finances, what's key is using them to do what's best for the health and wefare of the donor ... which unfortunately often means selling the donor's property once the donor is no longer living there

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hi
We have the above in place to cover my Mum who was diagnosed with early stage dementia in 2016. At present our intention is to keep my Mum at home and pay for care when she eventually needs it. My question is if things get really bad and she needs to go into a care home does the LPA cover us to protect my Mum's property from social services putting a charge on her home ?
Thanks

Dear Eliza,

The local authority should contact you if you have LPA when your mum's savings reach £23000 you are supposed to have an assessment whereby your options are discussed. Also if you consider care homes at a later stage (my dad was diagnosed in January 2016 and he is now in a home) a care home may ask if you have the Health LPA.

MaNaAk