LPA Finances

queenvictoria

Jan 30, 2014
I have lasting POA for mum, while I record her spends for personal and household I transfer the amount she is paid for her Attendance Allowance to my bank as I am her carer assisting with personal care. Therefore, not including AA as her income for any financial monitoring which maybe required or questioned. By doing this have I misunderstood that AA is not a source of income that needs to be accountable for.

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Generally when you are talking about an LPA, there isn't great deal of oversight about what happens to the donors money. It's good practice to keep records but there aren't many cases where you are required to produce those records.

I can't say I'm entirely comfortable with your approach re the AA. This is income for your mother and if you are essentially using it to pay for your care services it's needs to be accounted for as such. It's not necessarily wrong that you are being paid for the care, but if you are you should be paying taxes on it I'm afraid. Or at least reporting it as income to you. The whole thing is a bit of a minefield.

But I'm sure other people will be along tomorrow with other views. This is just mine.

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
Mums COP deputy pays my Mums AA into my account to use as living expenses towards my increased household bills as Mum lives with me. The previous deputy did the same. Mums pension is also paid into my account for the things I need to buy for her personally such as pads/weekly hair appointments/clothing/toiletries. I keep all the receipts and staple them onto a weekly sheet, scan them and email them to the deputy with a full itemised list every week. Having said that, AA and pension in the first place goes into one of the accounts the deputy holds for Mum, then its transferred to my account each monday. Without being paid the AA I could not manage to keep Mum here with me providing 24/7 care, having given up work 4 years ago when she moved in with me, to live on just carers allowance. As long as you keep receipts and full accounting for what you're doing just incase anybody does query things, I see no problem using that money. I do not have to provide details back as to how the AA is spent as that is for me to use towards bills. Its only Mums pension I have to provide details of how it is spent.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar