LPA and joint accounts

snowygirl

Jan 9, 2014
Hi
Can anyone tell me if I have LPA for my dad and he has a joint account with my mum will I still be able to access the account with him if for any reason she cannot sort out the finances any longer? Mum has been very stubborn and will not sign an LPA because she doesn't think that she has any memory problems but was happy for us to do one for dad as he has the Alzheimers diagnosis. Unfortunately, we discovered today that mum couldn't remember her security details at her bank and left with no money today. She does have problems we know that and we are waiting for her to agree to be seen at the memory clinic. I can see real problems ahead if she continues to be in denial like this :(
thanks

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
If you don't have an LPA for your mother, and your name is not on the joint account then you are potentially going to have problems. In fact, the bank would be within their rights to actually freeze the joint account (assuming you aren't in Scotland where the rules are different) if they suspect that one of the account holders has lost capacity.

Owly

Jun 6, 2011
You could go to the bank with them and ask to be added to the account as third party for administrative purposes.

Or you could show the registered LPA to the bank, they will photocopy it and register you as the account 'handler' instead of your Dad. Then you and your Mum would effectively be in joint control.

You will most likely have to show some photographic proof of your identity, say a photo driving licence or your passport.

snowygirl

Jan 9, 2014
LPA joint accounts

Thanks for the replies

The LPA for dad is actually still being registered. Its been 8 weeks now and we haven't heard anything. I'm guessing no news is good news. Does anyone have any recent experience of how long an LPA is taking? I don't live near my parents but I'm driving there today with my sister to see if we can help with the current situation!

snowygirl

Jan 9, 2014
Someone posted the other day - about 10-12 weeks. They have a backlog (no s**t, Sherlock) and are working through it as quickly as they can.

Thanks. I contacted the OPG and yes they confirmed it could take 12 weeks. My dad's LPA has been scanned onto their system but not been looked at yet!! Thankfully mum has agreed and signed the LPA for herself as she was getting in such a mess with her finances. I'll wait to see if dad's is ok though first just in case!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba