Low immume system - Keeps picking up infections

Dayperson

Feb 18, 2015
I think I know the answer to this one but is it common for someone with dementia to have continuous infections?

Mums had verrucas which took over a year to shift, then last year she had a fungal nail infection which she still has, then she's had two outbreaks of varicose eczema this year which the doctor gave antibiotics. Then today we went back to the GP and we were given another course of antibiotics for her bronchitis.

Is there anything we can do to help because I am concerned that she is taking too many courses of antibiotics and the doctor seems to be handing them out like sweets.

Risa

Apr 13, 2015
Essex
Hi dayperson

Not sure if foot/skin issues are due to low immune system or maybe your Mum is just unlucky? I know that my sister and I only have to look at a swimming pool and we get verrucas (12 at one time is my sister's personal best:eek:). If you can get a chiropodist in to treat your Mum they have much more effective treatments than over the counter stuff. Can understand the GP giving antibiotics for bronchitis as it can get nasty but perhaps worth asking if there isn't any cream suitable for your Mum's eczema? I get that as well and it is a nuisance.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Has your Mum had any blood tests recently? If not could be worth doing, but unfortunately immunity does become poorer as you get older.
My Mum has low immunity due to a blood disorder, but touch wood she never seems to get more than a sniffle, although she did trip and gash her leg a few years back which took 3 months to heal, and with several anti biotics later.

If your Mums blood tests are OK, can the GP recommend any supplements?

janetlynn

Jul 22, 2012
England
Hi,

I can understand how concerned you are.

Is your Mum immobile? How is her eating?

I would be worried about giving her too many antibiotics as well. They can`t be good for her in the long run.

I only ask because my mother in law who lives with my husband and myself is now in last stage dementia and has to stay in a hospital bed with an electronically pumped air mattress, due to pressure sores. She cannot walk unaided and is very frail. She has ensures and soups, as she will not eat. She weighs just over 5 stone. As she became less and less mobile she began to develop skin problems, such as pressure sores, and recently has eczema on her foot. Her GP prescribed cream for the ezcema and it is clearing up. I think that as a person becomes less mobile, they do pick up infections, and also, their circulation starts to deteriate. She has weeping legs due to the veins not carrying the blood back up to her heart properly, and I wonder if the ezcema is a symptom of this.

Warmest regards,
Janet.

Dayperson

Feb 18, 2015
Thanks for the replies.

Mum is mobile, at the early stages of dementia with general forgetfulness and memory issues. She does eat but we have to make sure she eats enough because she could quiet easily just have a slice of toast for tea.

She had a blood test last week, requested by the GP which came back as normal although one count was high because of her bronchitis.

Mums legs look ok for now, but she was told to get her legs up to help with circulation and wear a bandage around her legs which she refuses to do. I try to persuade her to do it for her sake but she refuses and I sometimes wonder how instant I need to be. Fortunately she's not had an outbreak for three months but she refuses to give in and rest.