Low blood pressure

Starter

Oct 10, 2015
hi all. I took my mum for her annual bp test today. It is usually quite high and she takes medication for it. Today it was low - 106/66 and the drsuggested it was because she isn’t drinking enough. She isnt dizzy or light headed. We do struggle to get her to remember to drink and do all we can to remedy this. Are there any other symptoms I should be keeping an eye for? Dr didn’t ask to see her again. Thanks all

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
My mum was on tablets for high blood pressure for over 40 years then she started passing out and ended up in hospital 3 times and they decided she now had low blood pressure and stopped the medication. The trigger was when she stood up quickly so twice she passed out in church where you're going from standing to sitting to kneeling, the other time was at the doctors when they called her name and she jumped up not wanting to keep the doctor waiting.
Watching her I could see that when she stood up she took a few seconds before she'd start walking and sometimes wobble a bit so although your mum might say she doesn't feel dizzy or light headed she may be and that makes her at risk of a fall.
One of the side effects of low blood pressure is increased thirst and with the weather we're having right now dehydration is an issue so she does need to keep drinking or having things with a high moisture content like ice cream or soup.
I just used to give mum a bag of crisps or something high in salt to get her blood pressure back up. I know salt is bad for you as it raises blood pressure but a salty snack put her blood pressure back up a bit with the bonus side effect of making her thirsty.
I bought a BP tester for myself as I have high blood pressure too, the British Heart Foundation recommend several types and I think anyone with blood pressure issues should get one, it's very much a symptomless illness until it's too late, they only cost a few pounds and all you do is press a button to get a reading.
K

Starter

Oct 10, 2015
Thank you, I’ll keep an eye to her standing up, you are probably right that she won’t think of it as being dizzy. Definitely going to buy a home monitor. Thanks again x

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Starter
the GP may not have asked to see your mum again, but thete's nothing to stop you going back and asking for further information - jot down any questions that pop into your mind and take your notes along so you have your notes to be sure you get full answers
if your mum is reluctant to take liquid, try jellies, ice cream, ice lollies, fruit with high water content, yogurts, mousses, milk shakes, custard, soups, gravy .... anything like this will help