Love to bath

Gershom

Dec 19, 2015
Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
I'm taking care of an old lady diagnosed by vascular dementia.She also doing dialysis 3times a week 4hours every session.She's using her IJC on her to Dow dialysis.Everyday she loves to bath,for 1day she bath up to 6times from her day started up to night going to bed.For me troublesome everytime she wants to bath because i need to protect her IJC on her neck(small tube on her neck)not to get wet.Washing the hair on her bed,wash carefully and cover it properly.For a 75 years old lady diagnosed by vascular dementia is it good for her to bath all the time she wants?

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
It depends of bath.

Too much moist can spread skin fungus.

If she uses soap several times a day she can remove natural oil that protect skin.

The question is what bath means to her. Which feeling it supplies her.

Is she itchy? Does she calm down on bath? Does she alucinate when she want bath? Does she want to hide from invisible people?

Some people like to lay in front of TV. Others on beaches.

I would ask her GP to check how is her skin.

arielsmelody

Jul 16, 2015
I agree that bathing too often might cause skin problems, especially in an elderly lady. I would have thought that twice in a day would be the sensible maximum (and probably once a day or once every couple of days would be better).

I agree with the other poster that it would help to try to find out why she asks for a bath so often - does she just forget that she's already had a bath that day? I wonder if you could try to distract her, by offering to do a foot spa, or a hand manicure, or look after her hair, or just go really slowly getting the bath ready, and try to cut it down.

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
Possibly with her kidney problems the bathing soothes her skin as much as relaxes...it would be a shame to stop something she loves ....there are always negatives to every positive..if she is dried properly and her skin cared for she should suffer no ill effects...

arielsmelody

Jul 16, 2015
I hadn't realised that kidney problems cause itchy skin, but looking online that does seem to be a common problem, so as other posters have suggested perhaps that might be part of the reason. Has the bathing been discussed with her doctor? It seems like a symptom they need to be aware of, and they might be able to help.

Gershom

Dec 19, 2015
Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
Trigger her dementia?

Hi,my madam everytime after her dialysis she is more aggressive asking so many kinds of drinks and foods,wants to bath.Even though given already she still want more and she think that she never had it at all.The more I stop her and talk to her gently the more she get angry.Yelling at me and sometimes throwing things.But if not dialysis day she's just relax and can communicate properly.Is dialysis can trigger her vascular dementia?She's doing dialysis 4hours 3times a week.

Gershom

Dec 19, 2015
Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
Thanks for all the advised,she loves to bath because she only forgot,sometimes if she feel itchy a bit she think of bathing already,and if she feel bored she think of bathing also.Everytime I bath her I'm using liquid Johnson's baby soap.After bathing she feel satisfied and relax.She's not hiding for anything or anybody.