Lost

Britvic

Jul 11, 2015
I am new to this whole thing but feel lost and need some support , my dad has Alzheimer's diagnosis for 15 months and has started to change more in last week or so , word finding difficult and tonight drove short drive to my house but I was out so asked neighbour how to drive as not sure how to use pedals ! So hard as had brought me some flowers and still thinks nothing wrong with him . My mam and him constantly at logger heads making me feel like piggy in middle

Essie

Feb 11, 2015
Hello Britvic, welcome to TP. Are you sure Dad hasn't got an infection of some sort - illness of any sort can really compound dementia symptoms - urine infections are common but any sort of infection, even constipation, or dehydration, can cause real problems. Has he had a fall or an upset of some sort in the last week or so?

Fingers crossed it is something that has temporarily caused such a decline but obviously people do progress at different rates and sometimes declines/new stages can come on very rapidly.

Can you or Mum get him to the GP for a check up to eliminate any straightforward causes and if all those are eliminated GP will then also be aware of Dad's situation and can maybe review his medication.

Good luck.

Britvic

Jul 11, 2015
re lost

Hello Britvic, welcome to TP. Are you sure Dad hasn't got an infection of some sort - illness of any sort can really compound dementia symptoms - urine infections are common but any sort of infection, even constipation, or dehydration, can cause real problems. Has he had a fall or an upset of some sort in the last week or so?

Fingers crossed it is something that has temporarily caused such a decline but obviously people do progress at different rates and sometimes declines/new stages can come on very rapidly.

Can you or Mum get him to the GP for a check up to eliminate any straightforward causes and if all those are eliminated GP will then also be aware of Dad's situation and can maybe review his medication.

Good luck.

Ye hope that's all it is , am due to take him to memory clinic on Monday so will ask them what they think , hope he goes as always declines and has never acknowledged he has Alzheimer's .

theunknown

Apr 17, 2015
I feel for you Britvic. It's so hard dealing with the stage where we know there are problems which are connected to dementia that need to be addressed, but the person with the problem is not ready to accept the help offered.

Britvic

Jul 11, 2015
I feel for you Britvic. It's so hard dealing with the stage where we know there are problems which are connected to dementia that need to be addressed, but the person with the problem is not ready to accept the help offered.

Yes and all the things you read or watch seem to see a person who goes to day centres, accepts support from nurses or carers and acknowledge they have a problem , also we have the issue of him having to sit a driving test to establish if he can continue to drive legally. This is hanging over me as if he fails don't think he'll accept it ! Then what do we do with car as my mam still drives ?

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
I am new to this whole thing but feel lost and need some support , my dad has Alzheimer's diagnosis for 15 months and has started to change more in last week or so , word finding difficult and tonight drove short drive to my house but I was out so asked neighbour how to drive as not sure how to use pedals ! So hard as had brought me some flowers and still thinks nothing wrong with him . My mam and him constantly at logger heads making me feel like piggy in middle

Hi!
My dad has dementia. In my experience of being his carer for past 3 years.. (admittedly people progress differently ) when things deteriorate they generally are obvious and kind of..where you notice somethings changed.
The important things is that everyones aware if it..because if those around you arent aware..youre in your own..
As soon as my dad had a diagnosis as his concentration goes the dvla stopped his licence!..that was and still is a humongous issue for him..
My mum was in denial first then they swapped and my dad was amazing he helped others and dealt with it heads on.
Not any more!..as he gets worse hes fighting it all the way..even telling himself hes got very early onset!..thats the sad bit..going from being honest and accepting but now fights every little feeling or incident.
I always get him checked out if he seems worse or unwell. Thats important because we all get ill..dementia or not. So far its been progression.

Im so relieved hes not driving even though he relies on me and use the vehicle handbook as a lecture!.the thought of him killing someone and himself was too much.
I told him id rather him not speak to me and be alive than be dead!

Weve progressed to aggitated verbal outbreaks now....ive read every fact sheet done any course i can..to prepare me and keep me informed. Its paramount as its hard enough when it happens when you know its coming. ...

Its important you look after yourself..your loved ones journey is happening whether your there or not..and if we dont think of ourselves we ll be ill ourselves.

You know your loved one best..if you want help ask for it..make your voice heard..
Best wishes

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Talking Point mobile app

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes and all the things you read or watch seem to see a person who goes to day centres, accepts support from nurses or carers and acknowledge they have a problem , also we have the issue of him having to sit a driving test to establish if he can continue to drive legally. This is hanging over me as if he fails don't think he'll accept it ! Then what do we do with car as my mam still drives ?

There are certainly some like that, but most times the person does not realise that they have problems, insists that there is nothing wrong with them and refuses any help.
The media just doesnt portray what it is like and no-one who has not dealt with dementia knows about the behavioural issues