Lost the present

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
We have always had pets,dogs cats.
I decided with No1 Son that a cat would be a nice present for Peg at Christmas.
Taking into consideration that there would be a therapeutic benifit also.
We sail of to the RSPCA find this beautiful big black and white tom cat.
He had been "done" and had all his injections,also been micro chipped.
The staff were very helpful and being told who the cat was for we were allowed to take hime home without the home visits and check up etc.
Paid our £50, paid due attention to all the advice including "Do not let him out for two weeks".
He seemed to be happy enough ate some food and gave me a lot of fuss.
I put him to bed,in his newly purchased bed,in the utility room,made sure that the cat flap was down and took myself to bed.
Next morning opened the kitchen door to greet the cat, looking forward to Peg getting used to him,by the way his name is Mackeral,and no sign of him.
I cannot believe that he opened the cat flap,but he did and escaped.
I telephoned the RSPCA and they told me that cats would open cat flaps without a locking device.
As he is chipped ,we can only wait now and hope some one finds him or he may return to us.
I don't think there is a moral to this story,I don't know why I am telling you all the story,perhaps you can all wish for me that Peg's cat comes home soon.
Norman

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Oh Norman ...that is a blow for you and Peg.....
I do hope he returns/is returned to you soon
Take care
xx

abby

Dec 19, 2006
West Country
Norman..hello I'm a newbie...

may I respectfully suggest you empty the contents of your hoover bag into a bin liner...sprinkle with water and then sprinkle it all, in a line from the cat flap out...just one trail.... I know it sounds ' over the top ' but trust me it works.....and the sooner you can do it the better......

* goes back behind the sofa *

Last edited:

alex

Apr 10, 2006
Hi Norman

Sorry to hear about your lost cat..............i can understand you feeling upset and worried........i hope he finds his way back soon.

Love Alex x

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi Norman

So sorry to hear Mackeral has gone walkabout, hope he finds his way home soon to you and Peg.......

Love Cate xx

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Norman
Perhaps the cat has gone out to get a nice fresh mouse as a Christmas present for you both?

Sorry to hear of the departure. Cats will be cats, I fear.

Huge best wishes for you both for Christmas and beyond!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Norman, So sorry about your cat. Do you think it might be a local cat and it`s gone back to it`s original home? I know this has happened when people have moved house. Even with the same owners, cats have left to return to their original territory.
Hope it soon returns to you and Peg.
Maybe you could get another cat, call it Sprat and send it out to look for Mackeral.
Sorry about that. Couldn`t resist it. Childish I know and obvious too.
Sylvia

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Norman,

I'm so sorry that your cat has gone walkabout. It was such a lovely idea to buy him for Peg. It would have been so therapeutic for her to cuddle him. I do hope he realises that he was on to a good thing!

Love,

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
Norman said:
As he is chipped ,we can only wait now and hope some one finds him or he may return to us.

Sorry to hear about this Norman.

There might be other things you can do. Eg:

LOST notices in local shop windows, doctors surgery, library ...... anywhere where you can put up a notice. If you have a photo of Mackerel all the better.

Notices on lamp-posts around your area. He may not have gone far.

Check in at vet's in the area in case anyone has found him. Or at least make vets aware that he's been lost.

Check in with local rescue places ( you might be able to do this on line) to see if he's been found.

If you have a local website - sheffield has a forum where they discuss anything and everything local, including lost and found, you might post something on there.

It helps when animals have been chipped, but i don't think everyone knows to check for that, and unless it's a pedigree animal i'm not sure they're automatically checked for chips if found.

Best wishes for finding him.

ps. my cat would love to have the instructions for opening the cat flap if you could email them to her :rolleyes:

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
No luck with the cat,yet.
We should receive his chip details soon then we will have all the contacts,ready made notices etc.
Tomorrow we are having a lockable cat flat fitted.
Norman

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
So sorry to hear about your cat, Norman - does Peg realise what has happened to her Christmas present?
We had Oscar two months ago - rehomed him from our daughter who was moving home. My reasons were much the same as yours and thought David would find stroking him and fussing him quite theraputic. Oscar came from some distance away so we did not have a problem with him adjusting to his new surroundings (in fact I think he likes them very very much indeed).

You may not be surprised to hear that in fact Oscar has become my cat - unfortunately David does not seem to be able to handle him properly - lets him fall off his lap or through his knees! So although he is a great companion for me it is just not working for David.

If you do get another cat it may be advisable to get one from some distance away so it does not seek its old abode.

Very luckily I chose a 4 way cat flap - initially he was allowed in and out but after four successive mornings - 2 x dead mice and 2 x dead birds - I have now adjusted to out only and that is working out fine for both him and me.

Good luck in your search for Mackeral (I loved the Sprat to catch a Mackeral - made me chuckle!). :D :D

Best wishes Beckyjan