Lost that loving feeling

Walker

Jun 25, 2014
Chorley Lancashire
I feel very sad as I've totally lost the love I once felt for my husband. He is a changed man.....bad tempered, threatening behavior and totally reliant on me. He thinks I do nothing for him and often tells me to get out.
Today he wet himself and peed on the floor twice. I'm sick of mopping up after him and feel shattered all the time. I long to live a normal life but know that will never happen. My feelings are so mixed up. On one hand I wish he was in care and on the other hand I dread the day he needs to go into a home.
I don't expect any replies as I'm sure you all have these feelings at some time.....just needed to tell someone so thanks for "listening"

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello walker we are all listening to you, and know how you feel l feel like that most days it is horrible when you have had a long and happy marriage, then suddenly Mr Alzheimers comes along and robs you of your husband. Its good to share your feelings with people that understand, thinking of you take care of yourself. ♥♥♥

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Talking Point mobile app

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s terrible when personalities are affected by dementia, so hard to live with.

I really do know how you feel Walker. It`s not easy to love someone when it seems they are deliberately taking advantage and making life so difficult.

No matter how many times we are told `it`s the illness`, when you are tired out and stressed , it does`t help.

angiebails

Oct 8, 2009
crewe
It's so hard. My OH is just like yours in respect that he can be terribly aggressive towards me tells me to leave HIS house as it was his before we married and is being left to his children. I have suffered so much violence and abuse I actually felt like I hated him. The doctor has put him on tablets to calm him Down and to try and stop the illusinations and he has made a small improvement. So I have tried to make plans and occupy him with trips out and so his mind is occupied and he has less time to think nasty thoughts.
Is there anything that you can do that might make him feel better in himself as I find that then there attitude to yourself does improve.
We are in it for the long haul with no reward so although difficult try to find some me time and be a little selfish sometimes as there will be no one to thank you so you have to think of yourself sometimes.
My Husbands son was meant to visit yesterday morning to speak to his dad about no longer driving, he never turned up and in the afternoon texted to say he had had a bad night and a hangover from the night before so couldn't make it.
We are pretty much on our own so make some plans for me time as soon as you can.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
So sorry to read your post Walker. Just to send you a hug. This is such an b....y awful disease. Hope you can get some help soon .

Sent from my GT-N5110

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
This journey is an emotional rollercoaster and so hard to bear at times. Your negative feelings are because you are so tired and worn out. A break is needed, be it with regular carers or respite. Please if you can, make sure you take enough time for yourself. So hard to action, I know as I'm guilty too of not having enough care in place. Not only are the needs of our carees all different, but so are ours and our circumstances all differ. But we are all humans that require the basics-a varied life-and that is hard to achieve. No one outside this experience can understand what the consequence of lack of social contact, exercise and all the many things we take for granted normally is.
I do hope that things will feel more manageable soon for you. It is so difficult to see a relationship to a loved one, whatever that may be, be gradually eroded.

Yanni

Jul 2, 2013
Emsworth, Hants
I think many of us feel like this. Someone once said to me that the soul never dies but the personality is what we deal with on a day to day level and that can be truly exhausting when your OH has Alzheimers. Not only can my OH be unpleasant and difficult, I am expected to entertain him, walks, meals and coffee out as well as run a household. He obviously resents any time I am not with him and follows me around asking if he can "make me a cuppa" - fat chance that I will get one that is drinkable if I do say yes. Oh, for solitude, it is so lonely when you are never alone. I do understand the desire to see him in care, anybody's care, as long as it's not mine. And like you I feel guilt and resentment.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Who is this nasty stranger who's invaded my poor husband's tired old body? I resent him too. I hope your husband's son turns up soon. You need his help and so does his dad. He'll be more effective without the hangover.
You're not alone; so many of us understand perfectly.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
I feel very sad as I've totally lost the love I once felt for my husband. He is a changed man.....bad tempered, threatening behavior and totally reliant on me. He thinks I do nothing for him and often tells me to get out.
Today he wet himself and peed on the floor twice. I'm sick of mopping up after him and feel shattered all the time. I long to live a normal life but know that will never happen. My feelings are so mixed up. On one hand I wish he was in care and on the other hand I dread the day he needs to go into a home.
I don't expect any replies as I'm sure you all have these feelings at some time.....just needed to tell someone so thanks for "listening"

That's what TP is here for - and what a brilliant place it is. So many of us can relate to your sad post, and have been along this lonely road. I resisted the care home route, even for respite for so long. The guilt was suffocating.

I only agreed, eventually and reluctantly, because I was due to have a knee operation, and would be unable to care for John for a few weeks. I had 4 weeks respite, which then became 5 weeks, and during the final week, permanent care was arranged.

Do I feel better in myself? Absolutely
Has my health improved? Definitely
Do I sleep now? Yes, right through the night

Do I miss John? Terribly
Do I feel guilty? Not as much as I did
Have my feelings of resentment altered? Completely

And the 64 thousand dollar question - have I done the right thing for John? I hope I have. I know I couldn't continue any longer, but I felt guilty even considering respite. Nearly half a century together is not something you can ignore. It isn't "home", but it's the best I can find. He's always washed and shaved, and dressed in clean clothes when I visit.

The food is tasty (I've eaten there), and varied. The staff are very kind. There are different activities, and ample staff both during the day and at night. None of these places are "home", they couldn't be. But I knew it wasn't right for me to feel so bone weary, wretched and desperate, and after 11 years, I knew I had run out of steam.

The support from TPers has always been fantastic, because even the kindest friends don't know what it's like, and I've been asked "is John better yet?", like it's an illness that can be cured. Respite, and permanent care, is something so very personal that nobody can offer advice, because nobody's circumstances are identical. All they can do is relate their own experiences, which may, or may not, be a useful exercise.

Some people have a reliable network of family members to lessen the burden. I didn't, and it was a solo performance, without an understudy. Apart from the exquisite joy of uninterrupted sleep, I glory in the fact I only do washing once a week, instead of 2 loads a day.

I clean my bungalow and, apart from dog hair (Billy moults permanently!), it stays clean-ish until I next do it. There isn't the urgency to clean the bathroom floor NOW, like there once was. But, oh the void in that empty armchair! It's not the recent past that I miss, it's the times, over 10 years ago now, when we had that "comfortable silence" whilst we watched a TV programme, and then talked about it, or discussed a news item, or planned what plants to buy .......................... mundane things, but my life.

Margaret938

That's what TP is here for - and what a brilliant place it is. So many of us can relate to your sad post, and have been along this lonely road. I resisted the care home route, even for respite for so long. The guilt was suffocating.

I only agreed, eventually and reluctantly, because I was due to have a knee operation, and would be unable to care for John for a few weeks. I had 4 weeks respite, which then became 5 weeks, and during the final week, permanent care was arranged.

Do I feel better in myself? Absolutely
Has my health improved? Definitely
Do I sleep now? Yes, right through the night

Do I miss John? Terribly
Do I feel guilty? Not as much as I did
Have my feelings of resentment altered? Completely

And the 64 thousand dollar question - have I done the right thing for John? I hope I have. I know I couldn't continue any longer, but I felt guilty even considering respite. Nearly half a century together is not something you can ignore. It isn't "home", but it's the best I can find. He's always washed and shaved, and dressed in clean clothes when I visit.

The food is tasty (I've eaten there), and varied. The staff are very kind. There are different activities, and ample staff both during the day and at night. None of these places are "home", they couldn't be. But I knew it wasn't right for me to feel so bone weary, wretched and desperate, and after 11 years, I knew I had run out of steam.

The support from TPers has always been fantastic, because even the kindest friends don't know what it's like, and I've been asked "is John better yet?", like it's an illness that can be cured. Respite, and permanent care, is something so very personal that nobody can offer advice, because nobody's circumstances are identical. All they can do is relate their own experiences, which may, or may not, be a useful exercise.

Some people have a reliable network of family members to lessen the burden. I didn't, and it was a solo performance, without an understudy. Apart from the exquisite joy of uninterrupted sleep, I glory in the fact I only do washing once a week, instead of 2 loads a day.

I clean my bungalow and, apart from dog hair (Billy moults permanently!), it stays clean-ish until I next do it. There isn't the urgency to clean the bathroom floor NOW, like there once was. But, oh the void in that empty armchair! It's not the recent past that I miss, it's the times, over 10 years ago now, when we had that "comfortable silence" whilst we watched a TV programme, and then talked about it, or discussed a news item, or planned what plants to buy .......................... mundane things, but my life.

You have just described my life, Scarlett, and your last paragraph says it all. Your are right about a ch NOT being 'home', but it is the best we can do. George is very contented and happy in himself and I just have to live with the consequences. There is nothing I would like better than to have him here with me all day and every day, but that is not how it works. I miss the old days the days when we lived every minute togerher as one, the companiable silence just like you did Scarlett and how I long to just sit and have just one discussion about something.....anything. This illness has robbed us of our very being, and I hate it so much. I visit George everyday and I make the most of these few precious hours, life is hard but I still have the pleasure of being with the person who means more to me than life itself.

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
Scarlett and Margaret thanks. I needed your posts to help me to think things through on this dark and cold day. Just got off to a positive start this morning my OH just woke up for a loo break from sleep and we both said sorry for a small spat last night and had big hugs.:):):)

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
You have just described my life, Scarlett, and your last paragraph says it all. Your are right about a ch NOT being 'home', but it is the best we can do. George is very contented and happy in himself and I just have to live with the consequences. There is nothing I would like better than to have him here with me all day and every day, but that is not how it works. I miss the old days the days when we lived every minute togerher as one, the companiable silence just like you did Scarlett and how I long to just sit and have just one discussion about something.....anything. This illness has robbed us of our very being, and I hate it so much. I visit George everyday and I make the most of these few precious hours, life is hard but I still have the pleasure of being with the person who means more to me than life itself.

Margaret it's so lovely to hear from you again. I'm glad that George remains settled-I trust that you are well? I miss reading your thread. Are you going to bring it back to life again?

GreyLad- forget the little spats-remember the hugs and cuddles:)

Take care

Lyn T