Lost glasses - again Arragghh!

SugarRay

May 5, 2014
Sunny South East
Well after managing to sort out the TV remote so it doesn't "disappear" any ideas on how to get Mum not to lose her glasses would be quite handy!

Mum is in a care home and has "lost" 4 pairs of glasses in about 8 months.... short of stapling them to her forehead I'm at my wits end as to how to deal with this. She is on her spare pair at the moment.

They all looked the same as the other 3, thought that may help... (I went cheap when the first pair went). All marked with her name and with the neck strap as well.

I'm going to talk to the optician on Monday about the cheapest cheap pairs he can do as it the cost will continue to rise if she keeps doing this.

I'm also going to ask the care home to monitor her bin - but sometimes it's too late when they've realised....and she pops "other" stuff in there as well!

I've given up on the teeth!

I even looked at GPS trackers!! Any other ideas would be handy.

SR

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Would a clear plastic bin, and/or clear bin liners, make it easier to "spot" glasses, et cetera in the bin? Or maybe getting a smaller bin?

Perhaps you could get a bulk discount on the eyeglasses!

Wish I had better ideas for you!

SugarRay

May 5, 2014
Sunny South East
Would a clear plastic bin, and/or clear bin liners, make it easier to "spot" glasses, et cetera in the bin? Or maybe getting a smaller bin?

Perhaps you could get a bulk discount on the eyeglasses!

Wish I had better ideas for you!

I may have to investigate the bulk buy option!! :rolleyes:

I'm going to speak with the care home staff and see if we can have a clear bin and bag - I like that idea. I know lots of "things" have ended up in her bin - her false teeth - in a mince pie tin foil case wrapped in tissue....:rolleyes: (again!) and ask they take extra care when emptying...

big sigh!!

Thank you SR.

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
I had this problem too Sugar Ray, my mum only wears glasses for reading, but I lost count of the pairs that went missing. She has a thing for wrapping things up in tissue and I can only think that some got thrown away at the care home. At one point they did a search and three pairs turned up in other people's rooms!

The opticians suggested buying frames is a bright colour or pattern, so that if they were put down on a table or left somewhere they were instantly recognisable as mum's. I have tried putting them on fancy chains ( lasted 2 days) and labelling, which gets taken off, but so far, touch wood, the different colours have worked! I get the Ready Reader types that are nearest mum's prescription, but aren't expensive. If your mum needs prescription glasses I am told that Te*co opticians are very reasonable.

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Well after managing to sort out the TV remote so it doesn't "disappear" any ideas on how to get Mum not to lose her glasses would be quite handy!

Mum is in a care home and has "lost" 4 pairs of glasses in about 8 months.... short of stapling them to her forehead I'm at my wits end as to how to deal with this. She is on her spare pair at the moment.

They all looked the same as the other 3, thought that may help... (I went cheap when the first pair went). All marked with her name and with the neck strap as well.

I'm going to talk to the optician on Monday about the cheapest cheap pairs he can do as it the cost will continue to rise if she keeps doing this.

I'm also going to ask the care home to monitor her bin - but sometimes it's too late when they've realised....and she pops "other" stuff in there as well!

I've given up on the teeth!

I even looked at GPS trackers!! Any other ideas would be handy.

SR

Just wondered if staff in the Care Home have any ideas. Sure it can't be too difficult for them to check your mum's bin? Hope I am not out of order posting this comment. I mean no offence to anyone but surely keeping an eye on your Mum's glasses is part of her care?

How about giving a spare pair to staff ? It is an awful headache for you.

Aisling (Ireland)

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
I agree, Aisling. The care workers and managers should be keeping an eye on her glasses.
It's part of the care of a person...ditto false teeth...false legs etc.

No excuses either.

I understand laundry being mixed up and I understand visiting 'Magpie' other residents, but 'they're gone. End of' err...no!
Find them or replace them.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I think you should put a very large notice above the bin telling the cleaner not to empty it EVER without checking it and a notice on the back of her door and on the front of the door too and on the en suite door. This is the care homes responsibility and a clear letter to the manager is in order saying that everyone needs to be aware and you are now looking to claim for the items they have lost on their insurance. Have they lost her teeth too - if so add them to the lis?. Their insurance should cover it and you can be sure that they minute they have to start paying it won't keep happening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JL513