Lost and confused - carer needs help

Discussion in 'Welcome and how to use Dementia Talking Point' started by llamedos, Jan 6, 2010.

1. llamedos

llamedos Registered User

Apr 16, 2009
    In August last year I purchased a programme - Family Tree Maker 2009 Platinum Edition. Istalled ok - no problems - however, due to problems with my pc, I had to re-boot my system.

I have a seagate external hard drive where I store all my Familt History files - me, being thick, thought I also stored my Family Tree Maker programme. I have just found out the hard way that it does NOT store the prog - just the files...gggrrh!

Knowing it would be easy just to put the FTM disc in my drive, and re-install - thought No prob. Except, my wife, who has alzheimer's may have thrown the disc away - searched everywhere, but no disc. :eek:

Does any reader know how to either get the prog info back, or is there a way of purchasing another disc - without buying the whole package.....any help gratefully received....:confused:

2. jenniferpa

jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

Jun 27, 2006
    Have you tried contacting encore whose product it is? They may be able to help you.

I hope you find an answer - I know how much time one can put into these tings.

3. llamedos

llamedos Registered User

Apr 16, 2009
    Thanks Jennifer

Many Thanks Jennifer, Had a busy day today - contacted Ancestry co.uk - they said they could only supply a new 2009 package which included a new disc, but no free access to ancestry at £39.99 plus post and packaging. Kindly they suggested I contact PC World where I bought the original - they said, sorry, we can only supply a new prog, but it would be 2010 with 6 months free ancestry accesss at £29.99 - collect at store.

PC World also suggested I contact e-bay - there I found used discs for around £6 inc p and p -!!!!.

I settled for a new prog from pc world.

Sod's law is that within the next day or so, I will probably find my original 'lost' disc.......well, I can always flog it on e-bay, I suppose.

I can collect my new package in the morning, and will be up and running by lunchtime....great :cool: