• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can now be found in our new area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

    You can directly access this area >here<.

loss of support at home


Registered User
I am the main carer for my mother who is has severe mixed dementia.
Until recently we had a weekly visit from a lady from Mind which gave my mother a different face to talk to and gave me a short break from active caring duties.
Due to budget cuts at Birmingham council, this free service has now lost it's funding and closed. Although Mum does attend a day centre twice a week we both miss the extra time apart. I have so far been unable to find a similar service to replace the Mind visit in the Sutton Coldfield area and have posted this in the hope that somebody out there may have some ideas for me to follow up.

(This is my first post so if I have the etiquete wrong I can only apologise )


Registered User
May 18, 2014
Is there a volunteer bureau in your area? they may be able to point you towards other agencies, think Ageuk offer a sitting service.


Registered User
Feb 22, 2015
Alzheimer's also do this. A volunteer has started to come once a week to have a chat with my mum - hopefully it will continue


Registered User
Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Try contacting
Age uk formally age concern or the Alzheimer's society, they may actually be able to help, if not they should know what's available in your area

Contact details Alzheimer's society
You can contact our helpline by calling 0300 222 1122 or by email at helpline@alzheimers.org.uk.
The helpline is usually open from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday, and from 10am - 4pm at weekends. However, the service may be closed occasionally during these times for operational reasons.
They will be able to put you in contact with your local branch.

I used to have a lady from Crossroads care come and keep mm company for a few hours.
It seems they have merged with the careers trust now
I don't know if crossroads care is available in your area
Last edited: