Loss of Sense of Perfume

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear All,

I took the oldies out to a local Garden Centre this morning so that they could enjoy the flowers. The roses, camillias and stephanotis plants were in full flower and the perfume was wonderfully fragrant. Neither of my parents could smell anything at all..!!

Has anyone else noticed loss of sense of smell with AD sufferers? It hadn't really occurred to me before, but I wonder if this is why they get rather indifferent to food now and again.

Best wishes, Jude

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Jan will eat things now that she would never have touched before; she also seems to feel pain to a lesser extent. Perhaps the sense of taste/smell/pain all becomes less.

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Brucie,

This is good news indeed! Perhaps I can resume cooking with garlic and chilli. Wonder if I could get away with the odd swipe at my father when he annoys me.....?

No, seriously. I was really surprised about the loss of senses and that I hadn't noticed it before now. It must be pretty recent really, because I bought some freesias for my mother a few weeks back and she loved the perfume and also commented on them several times a day.

Jude

Charlie

Apr 1, 2003
Hi Jude,

My dads still really seems to enjoy his food, in fact that's an understatement. However, is sense of taste has definitely changed over the past year. For example, I noticed that dad could drink juice 'concentrate' without a wince if he forgot to mix it with water. You've got me curious, so I'll check out dads reaction to smells next time I see him.

Just as aside, one of my favourite books is Patrick Suskind's Perfume, it's one of the few books I can read over and over again - pure ol' factory poetry.

Cheers
Charlie....