1. Expert Q&A: Living well as a carer - Thurs 29 August, 3-4pm

    As a carer for a person living with dementia, the needs of the person you care for will often come before your own. You may experience a range of difficult emotions and you may not have the time to do all the things you need to do. Caring can have a big impact on both your mental and physical health, as well as your overall wellbeing.

    Angelo, our Knowledge Officer (Wellbeing) is our expert on this topic. He will be here to answer your questions on Thursday 29 August between 3-4pm.

    You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Loss of ID - literally!

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by leafylaine, Dec 16, 2016.

  1. leafylaine

    leafylaine Registered User

    Dec 16, 2016
    Hi, this is my first post and was just wondering if anyone has experienced any problems trying to prove the identity of their parent or loved one?

    Since my dad had his driving licence taken by the DVLA (he gave it up voluntarily) he no longer seems to have enough forms of ID (passport, driving licence, life insurance policy) to prove who he is. This is particularly a problem for filling forms for benefits, such as Attendance Allowance (3 proofs of ID reqd from their list) and getting online services for NHS.

    I wrote to Age Concern but they said nobody else has suggested this is a problem - which I find hard to believe! Is this true or is my dad a unique case? Aside from getting him a passport that a) is expensive; b) he'll never use and c) the whole process will confuse him, I can't think of a solution.
    Please, if anyone can offer advice that would be great.

    Yours in hope - Elaine x
  2. Jessbow

    Jessbow Registered User

    Had the same with my late mother who never drove, never owned a passport, or ever had a bill in her own name ( always my fathers), never mind a credit card!

    I think we used a bank statement ( in both names,) and her bus pass in the end.
  3. jenniferpa

    jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

    Jun 27, 2006
    Yes it's very common I think. Mind you I'm not sure you will definitely need it for AA : that seems to apply only if you have to attend for assessment which you probably won't have to. Like jessbow we used a buspass and assorted other documentation : I don't think the list is intended to be exhaustive.

    Sent from my XT1526 using Talking Point mobile app
  4. Toddleo

    Toddleo Registered User

    Oct 7, 2015
    does a birth certificate count?
  5. Ludlow

    Ludlow Registered User

    Jul 20, 2016
    SE England
    I agree lack of photo ID is a problem. Has your dad got a photo bus pass? That might work.

    I keep a passport valid for my mum (98) even though she will never use it for travel. There has been a concession recently that people over a certain age (80?) don't have to pay so it may not be costly.
  6. Katrine

    Katrine Registered User

    Jan 20, 2011
    It's only free for people born on or before 2 September 1929 (as of today's date they would have to be 87 years old, plus change). The normal adult fee is £72.50 upwards.

    I have posted previously that the new online passport renewal service is very good. I renewed my mum's passport purely for ID purposes and it arrives within a couple of weeks. You have to send them back the expired passport. You cannot use the online service for a first passport (i.e. not a renewal).

    You can take the picture using a digital camera or smartphone but in my experience the photo recognition software is so picky that you would do better to get photos from a passport photo booth and then scan them to use online. You cannot use the online service if the person's appearance has changed so much that their new photo requires a countersignatory.
  7. Jessbow

    Jessbow Registered User

    No, birth certs are so easily available and only cost under a tenner, and you can send for anyone you pick! Birth cert is NOt accepted as proof of identity on its own
  8. canary

    canary Registered User

    Feb 25, 2014
    South coast
    When I applied for AA for mum, DWP accepted an out-of-date passport, her bus pass and a bank statement. I had not realised that they would accept out of date passports until then.
  9. jugglingmum

    jugglingmum Registered User

    Jan 5, 2014
    I used a letter from Benefits Agency for my mum - think it was her winter fuel allowance letter. If someone is on the electoral register, that counts as proof of address normally.

    There is an official list of what is accepted under the money laundering regs here (scroll down for individuals) which is what should be followed (I have to money launder new clients). Some banks however seem to need more.

  10. Onlyme

    Onlyme Registered User

    Apr 5, 2010
    A bank refused an out of date passport when I tried yo open an account. I had yo get a new passport even though I haven't been abroad for 20 years.
  11. canary

    canary Registered User

    Feb 25, 2014
    South coast
    You are right lemony, banks wont accept out of date passports. I was surprised that DWP would - thats why I thought I would mention it.
  12. Witzend

    Witzend Registered User

    Aug 29, 2007
    SW London
    This must be a common problem.

    No dementia involved, but I had a friend who was executor for an uncle who'd died.
    She had no driving licence or passport, but she did have a photo ID badge for work at our local library. But the uncle's bank refused to deal with her until she produced a driving licence or passport.

    She could be decidely stroppy in the nicest possible, quiet and politely determined way, and she held her ground, saying they had no right to demand any such ID, when no law in this country required her to possess either.

    They did eventually give in and accepted her work photo badge, plus council tax bill, payslips or some such.
    You'd think that nowadays a photo bus pass would suffice as photo ID for anyone old enough to possess one. Friend was too young at the time!
  13. creativesarah

    creativesarah Registered User

    I am in the same boat, no personal bank account, no utility bills, no driving license and I dont want to get a passport unless I get invited to go somewhere and need one!
    I am having problems with the bank as I am one of three signatories and they want some ID. I have contacted my local Government pension fund and asked them to send something to me and I have a letter from the benefits agency

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.