Loss of Appetite

Big "H"

Jul 29, 2013
Hi All
For the last two weeks my wife has eaten very little while at Home apart from her breakfast ( 1 Weetabix ), she has today gone into Respite and they have informed me that she has eaten everything in front of her and has even snatched a Biscuit from the hand of one of the other residents. I cannot understand this as my Cooking is not that Bad! it seems she is just playing me up, has anyone else had this happen?

regards

Big "H"

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
She might just be responding to the stimulus of company all eating heartily. If this continues then there is clearly nothing wrong with her appetite.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello "Big"H welcome to TP, my hubby would not eat much at home he lost alot of weight, he went into a Care Home 6 months ago, he ate everything that was put in front of him, he has now put on 2st, before Altzheimers he always had a good appetite, maybe its because they are eating with other people, its a bit like being in a resturant, thats what my hubby thinks, be pleased that she is eating well, look after yourself and take care ☺

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Hello Big "H," I am sure you are a fine cook, and excellent company, too.

My mother (Alzheimer's and no short term memory) went through a period where she would only eat significant amounts of food if she was eating out in a restaurant with other people. In fact, she lost a lot of weight and was malnourished; she was only eating ice cream towards the end.

Then she had a crisis and went into hospital, where she would eat all or most of her meals if she was at a communal table, but little or none if served in her room.

Since her move to a care home, all her meals are communal. Her appetite is better and she's gained back all the weight she lost.

I wish I had an explanation, but I don't. My mother does enjoy being with a group of people so for her, some of it could be the social aspect. I know she sometimes interprets the dining room at her care home, as a restaurant and she has always preferred eating out, to dining in, so that could be part of it as well. Or maybe it's just the novelty factor. Or maybe she really didn't have much of an appetite the past couple of weeks. But I'm sure it's not your cooking!

Maybe after she comes home from respite she would enjoy a lunch club or having some of her meals at daycare or something similar?

keegan2

Jan 11, 2015
Hi All
For the last two weeks my wife has eaten very little while at Home apart from her breakfast ( 1 Weetabix ), she has today gone into Respite and they have informed me that she has eaten everything in front of her and has even snatched a Biscuit from the hand of one of the other residents. I cannot understand this as my Cooking is not that Bad! it seems she is just playing me up, has anyone else had this happen?

regards

Big "H"

Other half has not been eating very well as well. However I realised over the last 2 days if someone sits with him and eats as well he eats better he may not finish everything but at least he has something. I am learning that sometimes he thinks we have put something in his food but if we are all enjoying it he will try it as well. More meals, smaller portions.....

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It does sound as if your wife is sensing your anxiety Big H, but perhaps it`s just a different atmosphere.

My husband refused a lot of the food I cooked for him and lost quite a lot of weight. When he went into residential care he ate everything put in front of him and regained quite a lot of the weight he`d lost.

Pear trees

Jan 25, 2015
My mum eats a full 3 course meal at her lunch club 3 times a week and never needs prompting to eat it all. But at home we struggle to get her to eat more than a small dinner or sandwich or a cake. She has been going to the same lunch club for over 35 years as she always hated cooking, and I think she now at 89 only associates eating with being at her club.