losing my own family

lonelyson

Jun 27, 2011
Hull
Oh Catherine hang on in there gal. I know this might sound silly but your heart's in the right place because it's you and your Mum involved in all this. The posts are mostly spot on in my opinion. I don't have wife or kids to consider so my situation is different. but I do have invisibles but just said forget it, it's their problem not wasting my energy. Have you talked to the bank about internet banking with POA and setting up more or some direct debits for bill payment? I manage Mum's finances via internet banking and if I didn't tell her what I was doing (which I do but she then forgets) she wouldn't know. Don't know if this helps but thought I'd throw it out there as an idea.

lonelyson

Jun 27, 2011
Hull
Sorry

Catherine sorry about my reply as I've just re-read your comments about the banking stuff. I haven't used my EPA to solve financial problems yet as I already had control via internet banking. Just a wild thought but can you try leaning on the bank with your POA to see if that gives you legitimate access to log in codes and passwords? Don't know if I should contribute any more as I might be out of my depth. Just want to say your in my, and obviously others, thoughts.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Me husband's GP phoned the DVLA re revoking his driving licence because he was a bit confused at an appointment. He had not been diagnosed. They revoked it immediately with no suggestion of an appeal. I was shocked when attending Memory matters meetings to see the people who were still driving - my husband was the best there!

Sam Iam

Sep 29, 2008
WEST OF THE MOON
Add me to the list as well.
I have my daughter and husband but one by one everyone has backed off and if I am honest this is the second time in my life I have been here. My mum sent me to granny sit when I was 14 until I was 16/17 most days of my school holidays and let me tell you gran was a cantankerous old biddy. So you have my heart felt sympathy and a few hugs. Keep posting we are here for you xxxxx

workerbee

Jul 16, 2011
Hi Catherine
I am new here, and have just registered, but wanted to offer a suggestion if I may. Do you have the Admiral Nursing Service in your area? They offer care to the carer and are absolute dementia experts. If you can get yourself an Admiral Nurse it will be one of the best things you can do to help you help your mum. They are totally amazing and can make the system work for you and make sense. You can search for them online and find out if they are in your area.

I care for my Dad as well as my disabled son, so we are a far from typical family. Without our Admiral Nurse to guide and support us I really don't think we should have come as far as we have. I also have an invisible brother, who has been completely unhelpful and positively vindictive on many occasions. His view on caring appears to be that it both costs nothing and is worthless, and as we all know that could not be further from the truth.

You can hold your head up high with all that you are doing for your mum, but as I have learned the very hard way, it is very important to have some life for yourself and as someone said earlier there do need to be some boundaries otherwise you will burn out and that will not help anybody.

Do take care. Very best wishes workerbee:)

susanne1964

Mar 1, 2010
hertfordshire
HI Catherine, I also can identify with your problems. I am also the "lone carer", but with other siblings who have taken thier money (and it was a good amount) and ran. I am in contact with two of my sisters almost daily but whenever I bring up the subject of dad and what is happening etc they change the subject.

Two of my siblings actually live at the end of my dads road :mad: but simply cannot find the time to visit. When I do have a moan, for expample since I started looking after him 18 months ago have not been able to even take a bank holiday off.

The best thing for me and a I am sure others is to try and put it into perspective and make time for yourself even if it is a few hours. I have been lucky as where dad lives in sheltered accom he has some good friends in there.
I also make sure that I do as much for them as I can so that they in return look out for dad if I am not there.
take care of yourself
Sue
x

Marisita

Feb 11, 2011
No sad but very brave

I have read your replies and I suppose all I can do is take one day at a time, and so far today is pretty awful. Its pretty sad that I have to sit here and "confess" to a computer how I feel ( sorry no insult meant there) as if I let on how I really feel about all this to my family, then I am sure it would just make things worse between them and mum. so will try and keep smiling and wonder how on earth am I going to cope when my daughter returns from her work abroad this weekend and what will her reaction be if I ask her to visit mother with me, or do I spoil the fun once again by inviting my mother to us as well. She has told my daughter to" F..k off " on several occasions so why would she want to visit?
And why has today been bad? I took my mum to her GP ( she had an appointment but didn't remember why - a long mixed up story). I told him I thought it may be due to her bad back and he prescribed paracetamol - I said there is not much chance of her taking them as she tips all pills into a bag and then just takes whatever colour she fancies, if any. I also told him about how she never wants to pay bills ( I have P of A but the bank that sponsors this site won't allow me a card and have recommended stealing/intercepting her online banking codes and cheque book but she demanded the cheque book back and it's now lost) and refuses my " interference" and that I feel so vulnerable ( she still drives but is currently refusing to pay her car insurance) and that she plans on booking a holiday and not telling me where. He asked her to try and be reasonable in accepting help as I told him I seem to have all the responsibility and none of the ......??? he finished the sentance and said rights and I think that is what I mean. I told him she had said she would slit her throat if I ever tried to stop her driving and her response was I had no sense of humour and exaggerate everything ( her normal response). Anyway we got the paracetamol and I took her to try and get a clock with day, date , time and month (she had one but won't really use it because I got it for her) as she never knows what day it is and can't fathom out the month if it is not in writing. Of course she then decided she didn't need my help or the clock and who the hell are all these paracetamol for. Needless to say I didn't feel up to tackling the car insurance problem but have till the end of the month when it expires. Anyway this confession has helped a bit and at least the tears have stopped. What I do about all the other problems that keep piling up one on top of the other I don't know. But anyway it is good to know I am not alone though even that feels horrid to say. I really don't know who I am any more. A control freak, a humourless worthless useless unmentionable, or an easily manipulated idiot. Probably all of them depending on how the day is going!

I don't think you are sad at all to "confess" to a computer: I think you are very brave. There are so many of us with all the same problems, but all feeling so isolated, so impotent, so alone and frequently so unsure of whether we are doing the right thing. I am afraid I have no help to give. I just wanted to say thank you for voicing exactly how I feel at present.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
She also used the hateful phrase 'It's not as if mum is aware of how often anyone visits, she wont know'

For me, it's not about whether Mum even knows me or not (I don't think she really has for several years), it's about that I know who she is.

Granted, I don't visit as often as I did when she was first diagnosed but it's been over 10 years now. I get to the nursing home once or twice a week and that's because my husband's shift changed and we can't get there very easily during the week. But we manage what we can and I know she's being well-cared for.

Your sister will probably regret her lack of visiting one day but that will not be your problem.

alipom

Jul 18, 2011
street somerset
Its like reading about my life when I didnt write it!!

Sorry that title made no sense, it is my first post, and I have had another day from hell - which suprises me cos I always think 'it cant get any worse!!' (I am or was a very annoying optimistic type of person - now I am just a dementia bore!) I with help of my long suffering husband and daughter care for my mum with Vascular dementia/Alzheimers AND seperate diagnosis of anxiety & depression which apparently pre-dates the dementia (go figure!!!). I have been fighting for a diagnosis since last october etc etc etc - Mum is receiving day care (and whilst she is ther she likes it - when she's not there she either hates sitting around doing nothing with 'old people' (she is 82) or I 'just want rid of her') My sister leaves 'caring' for mum to me cos 'she cant do it' ---- of course thats alright then - doesnt matter that i have been off work for two weeks with stress due to Mum's difficulties (i.e. on average 40 phonecalls a day - and she is only on her own first thing in morning -she wakes up from 5am to phone me - until I go down to her bungalow - about 7.30 - 8.00am until I HAVE to leave for work - taxi picks her up 9.30 day care until 5 then I pick her up take her to mine for tea - take her home for bed about 8.30 (wont stay at mine any longer than that in case she 'becomes a burden'. leave her 9.00ish depending on how she is then, phone calls start to my house before I have even started the car - this goes on until she is persuaded to take her pills either by phone or house call!! then she can continue phone calls despite 2 strong sleeping pills, 1 sedative based anti depressant and a lorazipam - until her speech is so slurred I can persuade her to go to bed. I do try to sleep around about then - but usually woken up anytime from 5am by mum screaming/crying/sobbing 'wheres my money - wheres my bedding - what have you done with my towels etc etc.
We are trying to get mum into the home she goes to daycare permanently - but when we are in crisis they dont have a bed - when we coping they have a bed but social worker sees we coping and mum 'has capacity to make her own decisions - for the two mins he is talking to her - and mum said no to leaving her home - cant understand why:rolleyes:
When we suggested mum moving into care two weeks ago - because I had one phonecall to many and one threat to call the police to far - i broke down to social worker for third time and said I cant cope - plans were started.

MY POINT FINALLY: - my sister let me and my husband pack and move my mum last october from devon to somerset - with very little help!! but when she found out mum might be going into a home - she offered to bring all her family up to 'help' empty the bungalow - whilst earmarking various household objects which would come in useful for her and her family - helpful/thoughtful and not at all materialistic or missing the point!!

Long winded rant to get to one small paragraph but I have spent yet another day crying hysterically, fighting 'the system' and being so scared I will get it wrong for my mum. without a text/call from my sister - who at present might manage a visit next weekend - when Mum is in day care obviously - not on Sunday when she is needing constant care!!!!!
Hi guys I promise to limit my next rant to a thousand words only!!
best wishes
Ali P

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max69