Losing my home

smartieplum

Jul 29, 2014
Where do I begin? It's a long time since I've been on here.

Mum went into a home last Feb/March. Dad was still at home and so house was disregarded as an asset. I've always lived with them. I cared for mum at home as long as I could. I went part time from work.

Dad died in September 2018. House is now in mum's name. It's now regarded as an asset. It's worth about £80,000. Council now are charging fees to the house. Its comes to about £2000 a month. I'm also paying top up fees.

I'm 51 and because I am part time, I cant get a mortgage. I have no savings left after paying top up fees. My solicitor wrote asking if house could be disregarded as it's my home and I've always lived with them and was their registered carer. Council came back with a big fat no. Once charging order is in place and when she dies, after 6 weeks a 4.5% interest will be charged on the debt. If mum reaches threshold of say £63,000, there is no way on earth I can pay it. The house will need to be sold. I'm so worried about being homeless. On top of this is the complete callousness of the situation. Waiting for mum to die!! Its so awful. Has anyone else found themselves in this situation?

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear Smartie Plum,

I was almost in your position but dad suddenly passed away on Wednesday. I was told to contact the council when dad's savings reach £30000 so that I could get an assessment before they reach £23500. I could suggest you look at my thread entitled Two Questions but hopefully the wonderful Nitram will be able to make a few suggestions.

Good luck

MaNaAk

smartieplum

Jul 29, 2014
Dear Smartie Plum,

I was almost in your position but dad suddenly passed away on Wednesday. I was told to contact the council when dad's savings reach £30000 so that I could get an assessment before they reach £23500. I could suggest you look at my thread entitled Two Questions but hopefully the wonderful Nitram will be able to make a few suggestions.

Good luck

MaNaAk

Hi MaNaAk

Do you have a link? I cant find it. Thanks.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hi MaNaAk

Do you have a link? I cant find it. Thanks.

That's okay follow Shedrech's reply but otherwise you can try typing my name and you should come up with my threads. I started this thread after Christmas in the Legal And Financial section of this chat room.

Good luck

MaNaAk