Losing Mum

Mrscjdawson

Jun 6, 2023
Writing after a large glass of wine so bare with me!

Mum was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s in Jan this year. She was 58 and I’m 33.

I’m really struggling as her carer, seeing how she is always declining. I’m always trying to be positive whilst I’m with her, but every evening the reality hits me. She is deteriorating rapidly and we are even considering a care home next year.

How do I cope with watching my mum disappear like this?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
You pull your big girls pants up round your waist and say "I can do this" that and keep posting on here, always someone on here to read, you are not alone. K

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @Mrscjdawson . I am so sorry to read of your Mum's seemingly rapid deterioration. It is absolutely heartbreaking and I do so feel for you. I had the same with my dear Mum, although she was much older before the rapid decline. You Mum is at such a young age which will make it even more difficult for you.
Cherish the good moments, I hope there are some at least, the smiles etc, and tell her you love her and hold her hand.
Now is the best your Mum will be, so inevitably some form of care support will probably be required. Residential care means at least your Mum will be safe and cared for 24/7. It's one of the hardest decisions to make, I know, but you will be doing it in her best interests. You would not be letting her down, quite the opposite actually.
Its so horrible for you; watching a loved one decline in front of your very eyes. Wishing you strength.