Lord of the Rings actor has wife with Alzheimers

Lucille

Sep 10, 2005
Hi Noelphobic

I read this article as well. I was staggered (although I don't know why) to discover his wife has had AD for 25 years! How awful for all concerned ... Is the Daily Mail championing AD at the moment. With this and Bruce's story? I don't buy the paper, just pick up others' leftovers, so I might have missed something about a campaign??

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
They ran a fund-raising campaign to raise money for the action against NICE a few weeks ago. They raised an amazing amount in two weeks, £230,000 springs to mind, but I could be wrong about that.

Since then there's been something about Alzheimer's in regularly. They're doing a good job of raising awareness.

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Lucille said:
Hi Noelphobic

I read this article as well. I was staggered (although I don't know why) to discover his wife has had AD for 25 years! How awful for all concerned ... Is the Daily Mail championing AD at the moment. With this and Bruce's story? I don't buy the paper, just pick up others' leftovers, so I might have missed something about a campaign??

The Mail and the Express both tend to run lots of stories/campaigns on issues regarding care of the elderly (bearing in mind that dementia doesn't JUST affect the elderly!) The cynic in me says that this has a lot to do with their readership - middle class meaning assets in excess of £20Kish, meaning that they are generally privately funded. The Express and Mail both tend also to run articles regarding inheritance tax, which hits the same readership. Also, the 2 newspapers are direct competitors with each other!

However, as the saying goes 'no publicity is bad publicity'!!!

Brenda

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
A friend of my mother's has been looking after his wife at home with dementia for about that long. He took early retirement to look after her at about the same time my mother took early retirement to look after my father. He (A... (the colleague) used to write to my mother every 8th week, when H.... went into respite. And they were still carrying on like that (and going for caravan holidays) at the time when my mother died. (I hadn't told him she had dementia too, only that she wasn't well enough to write.)

And our neighbour looked after her auntie at home with dementia for 23 years, I can't remember how long the auntie survived in hospital after that. Their auntie moved in when the eldest child was only 6 weeks old, "to help look after the baby", but needed more looking after herself and obviously couldn't be left alone in a room with a baby.)

Lila

Lucille said:
I was staggered (although I don't know why) to discover his wife has had AD for 25 years!

QUOTE]

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I must admit, 25 years was a shock to me too.
To think of living with a condition with such a slow decline, not knowing what`s ahead, or whether or not you can make any plans, must be so stressful.
I take my hat off to anyone who copes with that.