Lorazepam

Tired_MariaUK

May 5, 2008
England
Just wondered if anyone here have loved ones on Lorazepam? The doctor has just prescribed that for my MIL. Second day on the new meds. Just wondering what anyone else has experienced. This is suppose to alleviate agitation.

VIB35

Oct 15, 2007
Herts
Hi, my mother who has early onset dementia and is 64 is on lorazepam and amitriptyline (sp). It has alleviated some of her agitation and anxiety but we do find now that most of what she says makes no sense at all... we've asked the dr to reduce the lorazepam but because her mood is slightly better, they are loathed to do it. We chose, either she is very distressed with the odd lucid moment, or she is cheerier in herself but lucid moments are really few and far between... which is best? I don't know..... would be interested to hear how you get on....all the best.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
My husband has been on lorazepam for over 2 years now. It really has helped to control his extreme anxiety attacks. I would rather see him calmer with some side effects, than see him in the terrible states that he gets into.

It really is pitiful to see him so terribly upset, anxious, wringing his hands and unable to keep his limbs still. When he lived at home I tried so hard to handle these attacks. I tried every ploy that I could. When he went into hospital it was the same, and now in the Nursing Home he has also had to have the drug in the mornings, afternoons and evenings. He was taken off the drug in the afternoons for some 5 months to see if he would manage but this mid day dose has had to be reinstated. Nothing can ease his pain except this drug.

I can't tell you of definate side effects he may have as it is very hard at his stage of dementia to be able to say but he does have periods when he is not in the real world and is telling me of events which are in his imagination. As I say, I really don't know if this is the drug or whether it is the stage of dementia he has reached. I think it is the dementia as when he had the period when one dose was cut out, he still displayed the same symptoms.

xx TinaT

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
My wife Jean has had her Lorazepam increased from an occasional us to an occasional non use.I only administer 1 per day and non at weekends.

I can cope with the distress and agitation most of the the time and can usually distract her.

The carers and the day centre staff cannot so i have to adminster a pill before she attends the day centre or before the carers arrive.

Her agitated state declined for a couple of weeks and her night time rambings ceased. In fact,at weekends when I am at home all day, she sleeps 10 to 12 hours then nods off in the chair during the day as well.

However, over the last couple of weeks, night time wanderings have started again and distress and agitation are clearly evident in the carers notes.

She can be given up to 4 of these pills a day but I rather wonder as her metabolism gets used to the drug, what next?

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Ron was perscribed these tablet's in January this year. 1/2 a 1mg tablet at night, increase to 1mg if needed.
We tried then for week, they made him worse. I found that reducing his Parkinson's tablet's worked, and now he does not have (nightmares). So no more LORAZEPAM for Ron.
Each and every one has a different tale.
Love Barb & Ron

Carolynlott

Jan 1, 2007
Newcastle upon Tyne
My experiences are the same as the others. Dad was prescribed Lorazepam and Haloperidol in January because of his aggression and distress. They have calmed him down considerably and he is being weaned off the Haloperidol. They are giving him the Lorazepam later in the evening to make him sleep because he wanders all night (doesn't seem to be working though).

In the four months since he started the drugs, he has been in another world - it is impossible to connect with him and he hasn't a clue who anyone is, but he was totally unmanageable the way he was. Maybe this would have happened anyway without the drugs, who knows.

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Hi all

I didn't think Lorezepam was a particularly strong drug (no medical knowledge), but it could be that its effectiveness wears off in time. I believe it is addictive, but hey, does it matter?

love to all, a useless reply, I know.

Margaret