lorazepam v aggression and agitation

Johnsy1

Feb 12, 2015
Struggling with having to give mum low dose lorazepam to calm aggression and agitation. Started this week. OK calmer......but seems drugged.........don't like it..........my realistic head says its helping mum.....she had heart attack 8 weeks ago the severe aggression and agitation since is not good and she needs to be calmer for her own good.......limited choices due to medical problems.

PollyP.

Oct 8, 2009
Herefordshire UK
Hi Johnsy

It's awful seeing the agitation and aggression isn't it. This has happened to my Mum and at first she was put on Diazapam but she didn't tolerate that and they have now put her on Lorazepam. It certainly has helped the situation and although she seems very sleepy she is much more calmer. Mum was not getting any sleep as she was staying in bed for only a few minutes (right through the night) and was looking quite haggard but now she is much better.

I hope it works for your Mum, it's worth a try.

Pauline

doodle1

May 11, 2012
Could they try Citalopram ? It helped my mother no end. Diazepam made her too drugged. She has ended up on Rispiradone a small dose as well and it has been transformative .hope this helps

Pattywicklow

Mar 15, 2015
Thank u much for posting this! Mum is on an 8 week trial to see if they can manage her agitation and I am terrified they will turf her out. I want to have these detailed discussions with someone but not sure who the nursing home. It takes so long to get anyone to "hear" u and then muster a response and any chance we had to get the agitation under control without knocking her off will have gone, I'm watching the post with interest !

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Owly

Jun 6, 2011
You could try something natural like Valerian root which is given in higher doses to help sleep but also lower day-time doses for anxiety and agitation. Also chamomile tea to replace normal (stimulating) tea.

Bree

Oct 16, 2013
Owly

Would Valerian have any contraindications taken with other medication ?

Bree

Oct 16, 2013
Thanks for that but MOH takes so many, I would be researching all day ! ;)

Pattywicklow

Mar 15, 2015
Could they try Citalopram ? It helped my mother no end. Diazepam made her too drugged. She has ended up on Rispiradone a small dose as well and it has been transformative .hope this helps

Doodle1, I've asked about rispiradone and they've told me that it's only for v short term use 1 wk approx . I don't have any faith that they will try something other than old school lorazepam ... V difficult because if they don't manage her agitation they will tell us they want her out - am very worried, so difficult.

Long-Suffering

Jul 6, 2015
Doodle1, I've asked about rispiradone and they've told me that it's only for v short term use 1 wk approx . I don't have any faith that they will try something other than old school lorazepam ... V difficult because if they don't manage her agitation they will tell us they want her out - am very worried, so difficult.

Hi Patty.

Did they say why Rispiradone is only for a week?

LS

Beate

May 21, 2014
London

doodle1

May 11, 2012
My mum has been on Risperadone for 18 months,consultant approved.to be honest we have seen no side effects whatsoever. The memory clinic did say that the drug had a very bad press but that in small doses it could be very effective. Whoever told you that you could only be on it a week was perhaps not up to date to put it politely.
There is also an argument for quality of life over longevity and everyone's life including hers improved when she went on it.

Long-Suffering

Jul 6, 2015
Hi Beate,

Thanks. My mum has been on a few of those anti-psychotics for her schizophrenia and she's currently on Risperadone, been on it for years. She has to take it to stop hearing her voices in her head and the more severe violent behaviour, but only takes doses large enough to do that. She was on a higher dose to also stop the aggression, but they had to reduce it due to the side effects (twitching/shaking). If mum is also developing dementia as well as dad as the doctors suspect and this drug isn't suitable for dementia, that creates a problem. That's why I was asking about it.

LS