Looking for young people whose parent(s) have dementia and how best to cope

Abbey82

Jun 12, 2018
Hi there, Im 36 and I've been caring for my Dad who who has Frontotemporal/Bi Lobe Dementia and Alzhemiers. He wad diagnosed last July but is in the later stages of the Disease now. We've been through some trying times and had to learn so much. I'm always happy to talk to anyone who is going through the same thing and happy to offer advice, or anything I can help with if possible. My Dad is currently being held on a secure dementia ward in a MH hospital as his drugs have stopped working and he has now become aggressive.

If anyone would like to physically meet for a coffee/drink, I'm based in Nottinghamshire and happy to travel to meet up

AEMR

Jun 28, 2019
Hi there, Im 36 and I've been caring for my Dad who who has Frontotemporal/Bi Lobe Dementia and Alzhemiers. He wad diagnosed last July but is in the later stages of the Disease now. We've been through some trying times and had to learn so much. I'm always happy to talk to anyone who is going through the same thing and happy to offer advice, or anything I can help with if possible. My Dad is currently being held on a secure dementia ward in a MH hospital as his drugs have stopped working and he has now become aggressive.

If anyone would like to physically meet for a coffee/drink, I'm based in Nottinghamshire and happy to travel to meet up
Hi there, I don’t live near you so can’t meet up but would be good to chat on here. I’m a similar age, 40, and don’t know anyone my age caring for a parent with dementia, so it can be quite lonely. Dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s 3 years ago and has rapidly declined over the last 6 months so now thinking about care homes. Lost my Mum suddenly to cancer 6 years ago, my siblings and I have responsibilty for Dad and it’s hard. Especially balancing young kids and jobs too. Would like to connect with others my sort of stage of life going through this

Rach1985

Jun 9, 2019
I am new to this and this is my first post so I’m not sure what to expect.

I am looking for young people that have had to care/witness their loved ones/parents go through dementia. My mum was diagnosed when I was 18 and she was 54 (ish), although, she had been showing signs of illness for a few years before her diagnosis.

I am now 23 and have never really spoken to anyone about this, I’m trying to find some sort of group for young adults to talk about their experiences as I am really starting to struggle nowadays. My relationship with my mum was wonderful and even though she’s been ill for years I’m finding it harder and harder to cope without her.

If anyone would like to talk about their experiences or to vent or anything please just say, I’ve not had much support since mum got poorly but I really think I’m starting to need it.

Thanks,
Aaron

Hi Aaron, I’m 33 and my Dad has Alzheimer’s. my parents live in my house and it’s my mortgage. Things I find frustrating are people saying oh you’re 33 and still live with your parents?! People judge all the time. I’ve gone beyond the point of explaining now. Me and my mum share caring duties. Trying to have a social life and be a good carer is hard. Also working full time and fit my shifts around my mums part time shifts is a nightmare. Trying to work out how I can have my boyfriend spend time with me and have romance in my own home is now impossible. I feel like some of my life has been taken away, then I feel guilty because my Dad is sick and would’ve never chose this situation.
Joining this forum has been the best thing I’ve done. There is plenty of support and always people who can answer your questions.
Take care

KeddyL

Jun 8, 2014
Hello,

I'm a bit late to this thread but I just wanted to drop a line.

I have been in your position. I'm so sorry to hear your news my mum was 47 when she was diagnosed and unfortuntely she lost her battle this year aged 57. The process is so painful but we are all here to support one another. I am always here to message if you want anyone to talk to. Even if its just casual chit chat. I wish I had of done more talking when my mum first fallen ill.

Hope you're keeping okay. Sending lots of hugs. Laura x