Looking for Tee Shirts for Mum

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Mum always bought her tee shirts from Damart, and I am fairly sure that over the years they were dried in her tumble drier. Mum has now been in her nursing home for 4 years and I am running out of tee shirts - did not realise that she had enough tee shirts in her wardrobe to stock Damart themselves :eek:. Having looked at Damart tops they have all said not suitable for tumble drying.

Because Mum is bedbound she needs a fairly loose top - she refuses to let the carers put a nightdress on her - so I am looking for size 24 or XXL. Have looked at cotton traders but they don't mention tumble drying, Next are also not suitable. I am very tempted to just buy them and if they last 6 months then so be it.
Any suggestions gratefully received.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
M&S t-shirts say to tumble dry at low temperatures. Can you guarantee the care home will do this? I was surprised that most t shirts say "don't tumble dry". I looked at the John Lewis Anyday range and they say the same. I don't have a tumble dryer so I've not come across this problem before. Does it shrink them?

thistlejak

Jun 6, 2020
MIL went into her care home with a large number of Damart T-shirts - none of them were new. They survived 2 years of 'nursing home laundry and drying' before they needed replacing.
Her new ones that we bought from Damart, Cotton Traders and M & S all look to be surviving so far - she has had them since January 2022.
I think they all say 'don't tumble dry' as cotton can shrink, but then again lots of clothes say 'dry clean only' and you can wash them without damage.

Marler19

May 16, 2021
My mum has Lands End and also Primark polo shirts and t shirts which are coming up fine still after the care home has washed and dried and I am SURE they tumble dry. Lands End seem indestructible and probably around the same price as Damart!

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
To be honest, the price of Primark ones, you may as well buy cheap and replace as needed. The mens Round neck go a lot bigger than the ladies . They seem to wash okay.

Would she wear Matalan T shirt type Nighties?

electra2008

May 4, 2019
Mum always bought her tee shirts from Damart, and I am fairly sure that over the years they were dried in her tumble drier. Mum has now been in her nursing home for 4 years and I am running out of tee shirts - did not realise that she had enough tee shirts in her wardrobe to stock Damart themselves :eek:. Having looked at Damart tops they have all said not suitable for tumble drying.

Because Mum is bedbound she needs a fairly loose top - she refuses to let the carers put a nightdress on her - so I am looking for size 24 or XXL. Have looked at cotton traders but they don't mention tumble drying, Next are also not suitable. I am very tempted to just buy them and if they last 6 months then so be it.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
If she needs a large size how about mens T shirts Matalan have some nice colours in the mens dept

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
the mens ones are squarer and not so fitted as the ladies. maybe nightshirts would be better as they are longer and not fitted. i tend to have supermarket ones so cheap to replace. they do up to 26 and are sold in multipacks which you can get online or instore. does she wear anything on the bottom?

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Thank you everyone for your input will be checking others out. Mum has got nightdresses - t shirt like material which she was happy to wear until about 18 months ago and then she wouldn't let the carers take her tee shirt off and now I think it is hit and miss as to what she will let the carers do - she can be aggressive and will hit out so I don't blame the carers at all for leaving mum in a tee shirt, and to be fair Mum does seem happy with the situation. She has pants on with a pad as she is incontinent and always insists on her bottom half being covered so no worries there.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Cotton Traders t shirts, polo shirts and nighties have survived two years of hot washes and tumble drying in a care home. After my mum died and we cleared her room, I was surprised how good they looked and we were able to donate them to the home.

Pork Pie lady

Mar 16, 2013
Anglia
You could try looking in charity shops. Some might be willing to take your phone number and give you a call if they get that size donated. That way you will be helping a charity and getting stuff cheap enough that it doesn't matter too much if they don't last. Most of my clothes come from charity including on occasion new underwear.