Looking For Some Help...

OneTwoThree

Aug 1, 2013
Hey guys,

Really glad I found this forum and would like to say Hello to you all.

I am looking for a bit of help or advice.

My father has been put into care as he started to hear voices in his head.

More specifically the voices were saying "Why don't you murder your wife?" - when he was asked about this he would say it is like a shaky, whisper voice.

He has also been suffering memory problems since the middle of last year - maybe a bit longer.

For instance I got him a Kindle for Christmas, when I went to visit about 2 weeks later he did not remember that I have bought it for him.

When he was taken into care he had a psychotic episode - long story short he was swearing a lot, trying to shoot planes out of the sky, laughing and crying at the same time etc...

When he got to the hospital he calmed down a bit.

Since then he has robotic speech sometimes, always looks at my mum (his wife) with suspicion and claims the voices have not stopped.

More recently he is accusing my brother of stealing all their money, ringing at times in the night and speaking nonsense or saying things like "Everyone has died" .

I know this is a bit of a ramble but does this sound like vascular dementia?

Do you get murderous thoughts with dementia?

Just looking for anyone out there going through the same thing that could perhaps shed some light.

God Bless,

Chris

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hello OneTwoThree:)
Welcome to Talking Point, thanks for introducing yourself and glad(but sad) you have joined us, so sorry to hear about your dad, such a worry for you and your family and your poor mum must be in pieces:( with my experience of dementia, is expect the unexpected! mum has Alz, and mum in law Vascular dementia, so a lot of things seem to be common with both of them, however no voices (yet) hopefully someone will be along that may have experience of this, hopefully they will do lots of tests on your dad and then give you a proper answer, but in the meantime please do keep posting,day or night there is always someone around to "lend an ear"
Take care and best wishes
Chris x

IloveNY

Jan 22, 2013
Hi there

Hey guys,

Really glad I found this forum and would like to say Hello to you all.

I am looking for a bit of help or advice.

My father has been put into care as he started to hear voices in his head.

More specifically the voices were saying "Why don't you murder your wife?" - when he was asked about this he would say it is like a shaky, whisper voice.

He has also been suffering memory problems since the middle of last year - maybe a bit longer.

For instance I got him a Kindle for Christmas, when I went to visit about 2 weeks later he did not remember that I have bought it for him.

When he was taken into care he had a psychotic episode - long story short he was swearing a lot, trying to shoot planes out of the sky, laughing and crying at the same time etc...

When he got to the hospital he calmed down a bit.

Since then he has robotic speech sometimes, always looks at my mum (his wife) with suspicion and claims the voices have not stopped.

More recently he is accusing my brother of stealing all their money, ringing at times in the night and speaking nonsense or saying things like "Everyone has died" .

I know this is a bit of a ramble but does this sound like vascular dementia?

Do you get murderous thoughts with dementia?

Just looking for anyone out there going through the same thing that could perhaps shed some light.

God Bless,

Chris

Doesn't dementia with Loewy (sp?) bodies often, unfortunately, cause people to have hallucinations? You may want to research this.

Please let us know how you get on.

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
he certainly sounds as if he is having a psychotic episode, but the only people who can give you a diagnosis are the doctors, I know you aren't asking for that though.
As to whether people with dementia have murderous thoughts, yes, my mum held a table over dad's head and threatened to kill him by crashing it down on him. She then just put it down and said but she had decided not to. She never told us about hearing voices and it was long after she was diagnosed with AD. Antipsychotic medication helped in that it stopped this sort of behaviour, but it made her more sleepy though not completely zonked, which made things manageable for dad.
I hope things improve for you.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi Chris

Welcome to TP.

Seven 1/2 years ago my Husband had a psychotic episode where he thought that aliens had invaded Earth and one had entered my body! When the Crisis team arrived he wanted to hit them with objects and cause them harm. He has had psychosis since and has been diagnosed with bi-polar and has now advanced with his Alz to severe stage.

He has also suffered with hallucinations-some gentle some very frightening.

Medication can help with the hallucinations (at least take some of the anxiety away) but it also has to be balanced against making the confusion worse.

I've also sometimes thought that P has Lewy Bodies but we are now at the stage where I've accepted that he has Dementia and whether or not it has a particular name wont make any difference. From what I understand it's not always possible to identify what particular dementia it is as the symptoms overlap so much.

Do keep on posting for help and support or just a chat.

Take care

Lyn T