Looking for skirt, elasticated waist, pockets but not button through

Jackie123

Jun 10, 2012
This is stressing me out.....to the point that husband was feeling panicked....

My Mum has a favourite skirt which has pockets and is button through. My Dad and Brother who live with her hate it.

The carers say Mum needs a couple of warmer skirts.

The only 27" skirt with some elastication and pockets that I can find is in Damart brochure is button through.

Can anyone suggest any where else to try - it needs to be warm, have pockets, size 12, 27" and stand up to a lot of abuse in terms of hot washes and tumble dry.

And it must not be button through.

Fingers crossed...

Husband has kindly made me a cup of tea...

The request might sound laughable, but there us a lot of grief at the impossibility of keeping three people happy (and stopping Father and Brother being (at times) so sarcastic and mean with what Mum for what she is wearing)...

Thanks

Jackie

Jackie123

Jun 10, 2012
Thanks for trying- it fails because it grey and the current skirt is grey.....

Dennis (hubby) just rang them and since they have the Damart brouchure they can pick something and I will order.

If they don't pick then I wont order.

The easiest answer might be to buy something and put pockets on.......

In fact that probably is the best answer as the carers will want something that is pull on.

Thanks

Jackie

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
A local seamstress might be able to make you some skirts. There are a lot of free patterns on the internet if you search 'skirt sewing patterns' or something similar.

Might take a bit longer but you could get several some at the same time and they could be customised exactly as you want them.

Last edited:

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
A local seamstress might be able to make you some skirts. There are a lot of free patterns on the internet if you search 'skirt sewing patterns' or something similar.

Might take a bit longer but you could get several some at the same time and they could be custom used exactly as you want them.

even if skirt is button through as long as it has elastic waist you could sew the front so do not need to undue buttons . I used to be a dressmaking so easy for me my MIL has oppersite problem will only wear trousers and cardigens must have pockets .that's my job for xmas present sourch them

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006

Might take a bit longer but you could get several some at the same time and they could be custom used exactly as you want them.

I really think this is the best option. The fabric can be really preshrunk before the skirt is made up and an elasticated skirt is one of the most straightforward skirts to make.

Jackie123

Jun 10, 2012
Thanks for all the ideas, much appreciated....

What I am planning to do is cut out the most suitable skirt descriptions from the damart brochure and then give Mum and Dad the choice of these, and what they pick is then with them and I won't feel responsible if my brother chooses to make negative comments about what is brought.

We are down again at Christmas and so I could sew on pockets in a contrasting or matching fabric if Mum wants.

http://www.thesewingdirectory.co.uk/pocket-techniques/

As you can guess it is a bit more than just getting a couple of skirts....but isn't it always!

Ta

Jackie

theunknown

Apr 17, 2015
I've used 'Designed to Care' (designedtocare.co.uk) in the past for my mum. They don't have a massive range, but the important thing is that the clothes are designed for easy access and are made of materials that can withstand industrial washing, and don't usually need ironing.

Mrsbusy

Aug 15, 2015
Nicole Lewis co.uk and classic clothing both have a large range of 27'' skirts with and without the buttons, not sure about pockets.