Looking for in home care options in Leamington Spa, Warwickshire

Lisa PPA

Jun 17, 2020
Hi everyone,

Mum has a rare form of dementia known as PPA which affects speech and communication before cognition. She's now at the stage where she needs a little help with personal care, which will obviously progress. I've been looking at private care versus agencies and there are pros and cons to both. Continuity, empathy, experience in non-verbalisation and possibly a bit older would be ideal.

It would be great to hear your experiences of both and if you have any personal, local recommendations. I've looked on the CQC site and there are 15 suitable agencies in the area, although I'm a bit lost how to find private carers.

Thanks so much in advance,
Lisa

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo and welcome to the forum, Lisa @Lisa PPA. We reached that stage 6 years ago and it was the hospital social worker who set up the care plan then found an agency. I have to say agencies are a bit inconsistent, but CQC are helpful. Sorry, I have no experience of private carers, but hopefully someone will be able to answer your questions among our knowledagable members. https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/demen...omecare-where-do-i-start-finding-right-agency should give you some guidance.
Good luck and keep in touch.

Lisa PPA

Jun 17, 2020
Thanks so much for the link. Some agencies don't seem too bothered to come back to me, which is disappointing. The only really attentive one is double the cost of the others, meaning what money we have won't last past the first year.

I'll keep trying and hopefully will strike lucky. Thanks again.

hooperswan

Dec 22, 2016
Hi you're welcome to contact me,I have knowledge of care in that area due to looking after my mother in Warwick for the last 4 years she has a full care package of 4 visits a day for personal care

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Regarding costs, when I started using an agency to provide some care for my mum six months ago, we were paying £24 an hour. This was at the top end of rates here in S Manchester but not significantly more expensive. This might help you get a feel for prices near you. I used to live in Knowle, Solihull and know Leamington and Warwick well, I would think prices are much the same as near me.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zoobix