Looking for Ideas on Wandering

Cookie

Jan 1, 2006
USA
My husband is a chronic wanderer. We have door alarms on each exit and a perimeter alarm system, along with video monitors. The perimeter alarm system is supposed to alarm when he goes 300' outside the perimeter of the system, but it is malfunctioning and needs repair. The repairs will take about a month. Anyone have any ideas on how to keep him safe during this month?

Cookie

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
Dear cookie

It sounds like you have gone to great lengths to keep him safe with such an elaborate system!
All we had was sensor mats by the bedside, I don't know if that would be of any help to you, you probably already have them. We had to take them away because they frightened mum. We locked mum in the bedroom at night with dad and stayed with her at all times during the day. I know this may not be possible. How about getting some respite stay for your loved one while the work is going on?
Maybe others will have better ideas, we just had to go with the personal bodyguard approach which is exhausting!

Cookie

Jan 1, 2006
USA
Magic, thank you for your quick reply. The mats sound like a good idea. We will check with our local Alzheimers assn.
Cookie....

KarenC

Jun 2, 2005
Los Angeles, USA
Do you have an ID bracelet on him? This of course would not prevent his wandering and possibly getting hurt, but could help him be found if he should wander from your property. I believe the (U.S.) Alzheimer's Association has a registry for such bracelets -- the bracelet has an ID number, the person's first name, and a hotline phone number. This is a thing we were considering for my mom when she was still in an (unlocked) assisted living facility; she is now in a secured Alzheimer's home.

Karen

janew

Mar 28, 2005
Dear Cookie

I had a problem with my mum with wandering about 1 year ago but she seems to have gone through this stage. Mainly with being kept busy with Day Centres & Nursing Homes and now does not even try to wander only keep asking to go home, which I think she may try to go 'home' if she had the chance.

Our front and back door you need a key to get out of them and so I make sure they are out of the locks and mum can't get hold of them, which has been good for me and therefore she can't even if she wanted to go on a wander.

I am sorry I have no more answers and hope someone else can come up with the perfect solution for you.

Jane