Looking for household hints & tips

germain

Jul 7, 2007
Hi everyone,

A bit of a lighter post from me this time ! Sorry that at the moment I'm always seeking advice rather than helping others - but I do log in every day and even if I don't post, I'm supprting so many in my mind and with my thoughts.

I'm hoping there are loads of you out there that can help me solve a very minor problem (well compared to everything else)

My Mum is in an absolutely wonderful assisted living complex. Care costs £9.50 per hour but so does washing and domestic help - at a minimum of 30 minutes each time. My sister and I took the decision that we wanted all the money available to go towards care so we are doing all the washing etc. ourselves at home.

Mum's old home reeked of urine most of the time - we thought mainly because she never left her chair (neither did her old dog)
BUT my house is now starting to smell the same - we do sheets (& kylie sheets) and pyjamas and knickers etc most days and sometimes they even still smell after a 60 degree wash - ironing the pyjamas just seems to spread the smell around.

Thought of an airtight laundry bin but the few stainless steel ones I've seen are around £90+. - can't believe this for whats really just a large bin.

How do others deal with this ? Advice gratefully received re techniques, washing powders etc.

Thanks & much love to everyone
germain

ps new false teeth are going quite well - totally amazed - but Mum is persevering as she can now chew Cadbury's toffee chocolate eclairs so its a big motivator

pps since my post on incontinence issues and reading others experiences we realised Mum DOES use the loo as an avoidance tactic - much easier to handle now we expect the 30 minutes average for a wee - we now plan in for loo time.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Urine can be and absolute bitch when it comes to odour. Have you investigated a nappy bin? It's been a while, but when my children were small we had a nappy service (or rather diaper as I am in the US) and the bin I had for those (picked up weekly) had a deodorizing block in the lid. Also, I have had some success with the liquids sold for pet "accidents". I would suggest checking out the nappy aisle at your local supermarket or Boots to see what is available for laundry/deodorising.

Jennifer
'

germain

Jul 7, 2007
Jennifer - thanks for your tip and lovely to contact with someone in the US.

As far as I am aware (it being around 20 years since my daughter last wet the bed - I hope ! )- UK nappy bins are nowhere near big enough for the sheets etc - they used to take my daughters cot sheets when she was small but Mum's wouldn't go anywhere near.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I use borax in addition to the detergent. I don't know if it is available in the UK but it does a really good job of getting the urine smell out of my mother's clothes. It also depends on the fabrics - synthetics latch onto nasty odors really quickly. It's best to stick to cotton, I've found. If the smell becomes embedded, I find it best just to toss the items out.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I had a quick look around, and you're right: UK nappy bins are way too small. The one I had (still have actually: use it in my laundry room) is around 54 quarts and stands about 25 inches tall. The only large one I found on a UK site ran an astonishing £167 :eek: while in the US they run around $25! If you can't find anything locally you might need to look and see if there are any US online stores that will ship to the UK: with the dollar as weak as it is at the moment you might find that you can get a better deal doing it that way.

jennifer

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
you can get nappy bin bag liner , that have a lovely fresh small in them .

I put mum pads in them tie them up , then put in bin , that has bin liners that have fresh smalling fragrant also

also what is good to put in the washing machine part that you put with the power is

Concentrated disinfectant Zoflora Cool and Fresh fragrant & antibacterial , they sell them in 4 different fragrant . all good supermarket sell them

clean toilet out with dettol liquid Antiseptic disinfectant , leave a very hygienic smell all day , also good to put a little in washing machine , I do that if I run out of Zoflora .

I don't leave any of my mother clothes in basket if she wet them , other wise the smell just linger on for ever, and end up using to much Zoflora, to get the smell out of them

PS if its only knickers or a dress I raise them out soak them in a bucket of water with a little Zoflora,

Last edited:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Just a thought if you still want to keep them in laundry bin , get big black bin liner that have fragrant in them, put one in your laundry bin , at lest them you can cover it up, smell of fragrant bin liner , keep the urine smell out .

Last edited:

May

Oct 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If it's sheets and kylie sheets you need to contain, how about a plastic dustbin with a wheelie bin liner inside? Thinking about the smell and urine on the sheets can you still getting the solution powder for soaking terry nappies in ?(can't you just tell how long it is since I had my kids:eek: :) have to say, I pity poor babies 'botties' these days with disposable nappies but I'm sure they are labour saving for Mums) If you can you could perhaps soak in a solution of that.

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
can you still getting the solution powder for soaking terry nappies in

Hi germain, I use Napisan Oxyaction Max to soak mum's PJ's and undies in. Mum is in a home now and they would do the washing, but, she just puts everything back in the draws so every second day I just fetch what needs washing. At home I would use the bath tub for large items that needed a soak. Bi-Carb soda (baking powder) is useful for absorbing smells. If your mum likes to drink cranberry juice this also helps with neutralizing urine odour, this worked very well for mum I would buy the cranberry & blackcurrant juice. I hope you find a solution. Taffy.
PS. Just thought maybe in the UK napisan isn't available.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Mum is in a home now and they would do the washing

that reminds me when mum went to her last respite , her clothes in her case when she got back , look all clean folded up , but my god the smell of urine on them was horrible . had to wash the hole lot again , never smell anything like it it before it was horrible , god no how long they left them laying around with urine before they wash them . your think they would of put something in the wash to kill the smell, then softener

Last edited:

germain

Jul 7, 2007
Hello everyone and thanks for all your tips.

Have been out and bought - a large plastic tub ( B & Q sell for cement etc) for soaking, used some NAPISAN and it worked !! Have also bought a large airtight Addis bin and some nappy bin liners for the laundry left in her room - and stuck a huge label on saying "damp washing only" as many of her clothes were catching the wet from jamas and pants.

Also seen the link left for me re a marvelous sounding product called Urine-Off - will get some of this to use on the duvet (you can't wash them every day) and on the ONE chair without a seat pad that Mum's now taken to sitting on.

Wow - hopefully problems solved

Thanks again all
Luv and flowery smells from
Germain

Lonestray

Aug 3, 2006
Hereford
Tips

For what it's worth I've had the problem with urine smell but not so bad as mentioned. After years of experience the following is how I avoid the problem.
1. When I put on the pads I ensure the thin strip of plastic around the edge of the pad is out flat out all round against the skin. This avoids cloths getting wet.

2. I place three pads across the bed to absorb any accident. Should there be an accident the mattress is of foam with a cover which can be wiped with disinfectant.

3. Used pads I tie in clear plastic bags which I collect at the supermarket, when shopping for my fruit and veg in at the supermarket. I collect enough at each outing. Each bag I tie to keep the odour in, them place them in a larger shopping bag. When full I put the lot in a large yellow plastic bag, which is marked Clinical Waste, Incineration Only, Maximum weight 9kg. These are provided I think by LA and collected once a week.
These bags I keep in a bin outside.

Night times I use the wrap around pads with two stickers at each side, again I ensure the plastic edges are not turned in. I also place a pad on the pillow.
The above tips I've found have totally eliminated the smell and has reduced cloths washing. All I can offer you is fresh air! Padraig

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanetR