Looking for advice

Jesb

Dec 23, 2015
Hello, I am looking for advice regarding rapid onset of dementia. My mother was hospitalized due to diverticulitis. While there they gave her Ativan. She was only given it for 2 or 3 days. This rendered her basically immobile. Didn't know where she was couldn't get up to go the bathroom. A week later she is stronger so she is sent to a nursing rehab to get her strength up. That was a week ago. The day she arrived I met her there to help her get settled. A few hours later I got a phone call from her saying she was at a friends and had been in the hospital. I told her where she was and calmed her down. Everyday I have gotten a phone call from her scared because she doesn't know where she is. Sometimes she thinks she is different places. The nursing staff has seen this decline(she was there a few months ago). I was hoping it would get better. She knows something is wrong with her mind. They have done labs work on her and an ultrasound of her kidney. She has no UTI. When I brought her to the hospital she was alert and aware. She remembers the day we went to the hospital but nothing after that. I feel like in 2 weeks she has declined immensely. Do I just accept them saying "well her dementia is accelerating"? I feel horrible that everyday she doesn't know where she is or even where her bathroom is. It just seems SOO fast.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to TP :)
Unfortunately dementia can change quickly & if there are no physical problems like a UTI then the staff are probably right.