looking for advice

gerrie ley

Apr 10, 2006
bradford yorkshire
Hi all goodmorning just to recap my wife is four years down the road with alzheimers She is on Aricept and slowly getting worse.Her toilet is now a problem she has no control and is very loose.I have spoken to her doctor who has been no help whatsoever.We have recently been to Cyprus and I dosed her with anti diarrhoea pills before flying.Since our return she seems to have got worse and more frequent I was wondering what I can buy to put inside her knickers to contain the motion as I dont think that doping her is good for her long term. I would appreciate your comments as fellow carers with more experience than me

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Gerrie

Just a suggestion -- could your wife be having a reaction to Aricept? Diarrhea is one of the possible side effects It might be worth asking for a review of her medication, there are other AD drugs which might suit her better.

I've no answer to the practical problem, I'm afraid, beyond trying Boots own brand pull-up pants. I use them with John, but I've never had diarrhea to contend with.

Someone may have other solutions.

Love,

Edited to add: There are of course other brands of pants which may be just as good. I just suggested the ones I use.

Last edited:

taylorcat

Jun 18, 2006
W.Scotland
Gerrie, my Mum also has terrible diarrhoea. Our health centre supply pads which she wears all the time.

Whilst she is in hospital they are investigating the diarrhoea which up until now nobody seemed to be bothering about

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
There is no reason why someone with AZ cannot suffer from diarrhea from the same causes as anyone else. For example there could be an infection or irritable bowel syndrome. IBS can be triggered by lots of things and this includes stress and upset.

Sometimes I think the doctors first reactions can be to think that anything someone with AZ gets has to be linked with the AZ but this is of course not the case.

Have you made it clear enough that you regard this as diarrhea rather than incontinence? If it is happening more and more often then it could be more than incontinence. Does you wife get any other symptoms such as cramping pains or gas? Assuming she is able to express this to you..?

I believe you are right in that giving someone anti-diarrhea medicines for more than a short while is not a good thing. It could lead to constipation or they could become reliant on the medicine and have worse problems when they stop taking it.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Do hope that this problem is sorted out soon.

Re: pads etc, have you an Incontinence Nurse at your doctors, or maybe a referral through your SW.

They deal with all sorts of bladder and bowel problems, and can arrange supplies delivered to your home. (At least that happens in this area)

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Connie, the reason I suggested the pants is that our authority will only supply pads, which John can't manage on his own. At this 'intermediate' stage the pants let him retain some dignity.

Of course I don't know what stage Gerrie's wife is at. It's so difficult keeping the balance between dignity and protection.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Have found, through mixing at our local AS, that this is an area that some women 'adapt' to better than men.

Quite right though Sylvia, our area does not supply 'pants' either, although I am sure that some of the websites can be cheaper. It seems, once again, so wrong that you have to pay for dignity. Ah well, don't get me started.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Not sure if I'm allowed to say this, please someone delete if not.

If you join the health club of the high street chemist, you get 10% off all own-brand purchases. Worth having when you're buying regularly.

gerrie ley

Apr 10, 2006
bradford yorkshire
Thanks

Thank you all for your valued comments She has had IBS in the past and she does have wind also cramping pains in her midriff Its nice to have support love you all. XXX