Looking for advice

PTY

Jun 4, 2008
Hello everyone, I'm new to this site due to my brother-in-law having been diagnosed with Alzheimers about 3 years ago. My sister was wondering about wooden flooring being put into one of the rooms in their new house and was told that this might not be good for someone with Alzheimers. Has anyone any other information to back this up? Look forward to hearing from you.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi PTY, welcome to TP.

I've recently visited a dementia design centre, and this was one of the points made.

Apparently people with dementia can see a shiny floor as being wet or slippery, so are afraid to walk on it. Of course, it's important to maintain mobility for as long as possible.

They recommend a self-coloured carpet with a texture.

Although of course I can see the advantage of a solid floor if continence is an issue. I took the carpets out of our loos and put textured vinyl down.

PTY

Jun 4, 2008
Thanks for your reply and welcome.
Would wood-effect vinyls be a reasonable alterative,surely they are not particularly shiny, or do you think the carpet would be better?

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear PTY,
I had laminated flooring put down in two bedrooms, hall and lounge.
My husband was double incontinent and it did help a great deal.
Where my husband's chair was in the lounge I did have a large square rug down so he had better footing although in later stages, the carpet did take a great deal of cleaning.
Best wishes
Christine

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I can't really say. I suppose it would depend on how shiny the vinyl was, and how big the room is.

I'd be inclined to go for carpet, but of course it's your sister's decision.

PTY

Jun 4, 2008
Thanks for all your help. I will pass on the info to my sister.

fearful fiona

Apr 19, 2007
London
Hello PTY,

This is an interesting post for me as my Mum is going to a new care home next week and when I visited (and really liked it) the first thing that struck me was the wooden/laminate floor. It wasn't particularly shiny, but I thought what a good idea, because it is a special EMI home and probably most residents there are incontinent so it must be easier to clean than carpet. It made the place look quite modern and new too and cheerful.

Obviously you will want to consider the safety aspects, but I reckon if they can do it in a care home, (with a very good CSCI report by the way) it must be OK.

Good luck to you and your sister.