Looking for advice about getting treatment for my Dad

Kebab

Apr 7, 2019
My Dad is 70 and started having strange spasms back in November. He said they started in his head and **** through his body lasting for about 2 seconds.

Back then he refused to go to his doctor because he had a trip to Australia planned and didn’t wan to be told to cancel it.

When he got back from his trip in January he went to the doctor and his blood tests can back fine. The doctor told him to leave it a while to see if it improved.

Since then the situation has got so much worse. He is having spasms at least 20 times a day, he has severe memory loss and can’t remember what happened yesterday or who people are. He has lost so much weight and has no strength at all - even struggling to cut a sandwich.

He tells me that he has a neurologist appointment for August but i think he urgently needs help before then.

The problem is he lives 2 hours away from me, he refuses to go to A&E and he won’t give me his GP’s details. Short of physically dragging him to a hospital, how do I get him some help?

I’m so worried and feel totally powerless.

KatieR

Mar 13, 2019
I had the problem of not knowing my Mum's GP - and I lived abroad. I rang a neighbour in the end and she gave me the number of the local surgery. Worth a try? It must be such a worry for you.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Kebab

Waiting until August sounds ridiculous to me when your dad is having so many frightening episodes.

If he won`t give you the name of his doctor all I can suggest is you ask your doctor for advice or refer your dad to Adult Social Services in his area to see if they can offer any advice.

What a worry for you.

Kebab

Apr 7, 2019
Hello @Kebab

Waiting until August sounds ridiculous to me when your dad is having so many frightening episodes.

If he won`t give you the name of his doctor all I can suggest is you ask your doctor for advice or refer your dad to Adult Social Services in his area to see if they can offer any advice.

What a worry for you.

Thank you, those are both great ideas. I’ll try that tomorrow :)

Kebab

Apr 7, 2019
I had the problem of not knowing my Mum's GP - and I lived abroad. I rang a neighbour in the end and she gave me the number of the local surgery. Worth a try? It must be such a worry for you.

Yes, i’m Going to go down to him and try and collar his neighbour (they are best buddies so he should be able to help). Thank you.