looking after someone with dementia..

shellie88

Apr 8, 2015
hi all i am a care assistant and currently looking after a gentleman with dementia.. he pays for his own care in a nursing home including 1-2-1 care from an outside agency.. i have been told he may be eligible for continuing healthcare but as I'm not family and he does not have family am i able to help he to get an assessment for this without jeopardising my job at the same time. any information would be grate as i do feel really sad for him and i am building a bond and feel like I'm looking after my grandad :)

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Is it possible that you could speak to the Manager of the NH? It should not affect them in any way and I feel he/she has a responsibility to recommend an assessment for CHC. This happened for my brother without any pressure from any friend or family member.

I cannot see why you mentioning this to the Manager should affect your job in any way at all. It is indeed a very kind thought and good that he has you to take an interest in him.

PS - if the gentleman has any family at all then maybe one of them should be approached initially.

Stereochild

Feb 17, 2015
Greenwich/Deptford
hi all i am a care assistant and currently looking after a gentleman with dementia.. he pays for his own care in a nursing home including 1-2-1 care from an outside agency.. i have been told he may be eligible for continuing healthcare but as I'm not family and he does not have family am i able to help he to get an assessment for this without jeopardising my job at the same time. any information would be grate as i do feel really sad for him and i am building a bond and feel like I'm looking after my grandad :)

You could contact your clients doctor as he/she should be the person to start the ball rolling so to speak.
I too am a private carer and have been looking after clients with dementia for many years. My agency would not have a problem with my helping a client out regarding healthcare finance etc. and nor should yours. I had to change my agency for a time when a client I worked for was assessed by the local council for financial assistance. The council then offered to pay my salary but couldn't pay me or the client directly. My agency is only an introduction agency so couldn't take the money either - so I had to sign with a different agency for the time the council was funding the care.
You sound like the right person to work as a carer - having a very caring personality. I too think of all my clients, as if they were my family! :)