Looking after pets

Bradley B.

Jan 3, 2020
HI, my father is 87. He still lives at home alone, with carers in the morning and evening who get him sorted and set out his medication etc.
He has an old westie and is struggling to remember if he has fed him.
I have tried a check list for him to tick each time he does, which worked for a while, but now he forgets about the list.
I can monitor the food, but was wondering if anyone had any tips for putting in place something to help.
thanks in advance.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello. Could the carers put food/water out when they visit? If you keep the food out of your Dad's way ithis would ensure that the dog isn't overfed. Who is taking it out for walks - could they feed the dog at the same time?

Last edited:

Tammer

Dec 15, 2019
Hi, my mum is in hospital just now but will be coming out soon with 4 care visits a day. She has / had a small dog and a Siamese cat. My brother has the dog and I have the cat. Prior to her going into hospital, the animals would occasionally poo in the house, the cat litter tray was in the bath and messy, and cat food was only ever topped up (not cleaned) so had maggots growing in it.

I am going to keep the cat permanently as I just don't think she can maintain reasonable hygene standards. I'm not sure about the dog as at least it caused her to exercise by taking it out short walks. The social worker seems doubtful she will ever leave the house once she is home (!)

Champers

Jan 3, 2019
Strangely, it was a neighbour telling me that Mother’s cat was not being fed and full of fleas that was the final straw. She always loved her cat, it was always her priority and it gave her great companionship. I think I realised that if she wasn’t caring for the cat adequately, she definitely wasn’t caring for herself. Her house had acquired a definite aroma of cat wee because she wasn’t always remembering to let the poor thing out in the morning. That was the trigger for the move to a CH.

Happy ending for her cat too. By coincidence, a neighbour of my daughter was looking for a feline companion and it’s really landed on its paws! It’s now totally indulged and treated like a princess.