Looking after my son

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
My 17 year old son lives with me 50% of the time,I'm wondering as we have 8 carers that visit the home every day anyway that could be carrying the virus,is there any harm in him still coming to stay,and also considering those carer visits will there be any harm in me still visiting the shops in weeks to come?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @occupied99

I don`t think anyone feels able to take the risk of offering advice to you.

As you say the carers may be carrying the virus to your home so it could be said your son wouldn`t be any more of a threat as long as all possible precautions are taken.

I hope you manage to make a decision.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @occupied99 . I have asthma so I’m being cautious and hand washing like a maniac but I don’t think all risk can be entirely avoided. I remember, as a child, reading a book about the great plague and how a family coped with that. When their children went to play in a plague street by accident the kids were washed and their clothes were burned (didn’t have a washing machine back then) on their return home.

perhaps if you’re really worried you could ask your son to shower as soon as he arrives and wash all his outdoor clothes. With 8 carers coming in some risk is unavoidable anyway.

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
Hi @Bunpoots I think I will just keep things as they are then,although he is a hermit and spends his time in his room on his laptop and doesn't chat much,he makes me happy just being here,and it gives me a bit of moral support,just seeing his little face cheers me up,mum doesn't say much so I probably would be driven around the bend if it wasn't for James,and he loves his half an hour shower

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
Sounds like my kids! They spend all their time in their rooms but I like them being here :)
Hi I have to remember that he's 17 and going through the teenage stage,I probably wasn't that chatty at his age,I can't remember to be honest he may well be the one that helps us get food from the shops

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
Hi I have to remember that he's 17 and going through the teenage stage,I probably wasn't that chatty at his age,I can't remember to be honest he may well be the one that helps us get food from the shops if it is seen to be safe for him to do that

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I didn’t talk much to my parents at 17 :rolleyes: .

I know what’s going on seems really scary at the moment but I think a lot of the precautions are to try to stop the NHS being overwhelmed. I’m worried enough to be conscious about touching my face, especially when I’ve been out and haven’t washed my hands yet, but I think people reacting with panic are making things seem worse than they really are. It is weird seeing empty shelves in supermarkets.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArthurPOA