Looking after my 64 year old wife who has picks

the gray dog

Sep 7, 2014
merthyr tydfil
I have looked after my wife who has picks ,for a long time bringing her back from not being able to eat or drink,fixing the cramp in her legs and hand getting her to eat her food on her own but its the talking part that is hard ,I talk to her in the night and have heard her talk in her sleep so am hoping that later I will get her to talk again ,before the cramp in her hand I got her to knit things and colour books there is a light at the end of the tunnel she has not talked for many years and she knows its me,will cry at sad films and laugh at carry on films. The thing that drives me on is my faith and the fact that I will get her back to an awareness of a sort .The house is a lonely place to be for me and mostly the only contact of life I have is the girls who look after her toilet needs 4 times a day and my dog who is 5 has a diabetic problem has 2 injections a day but gives me lots of love,I am the same as thousands out there so don't give up you never know what is around the corner and it might not be all bad.O yes me 70 fully disabled but a fighter to the last

ElizabethAnn

Jan 4, 2014
Northumberland
Welcome

Hello Gray Dog,
welcome to talking Point.

I am in awe of your successes with your wife. I think you must have lots of invaluable experience that will help the rest of us who care for loved ones and perhaps in return we can provide you with some companionship - which we all need so much.

I notice your post is in a forum that I haven't visited before and think it may be more visible in the "I have a partner with dementia" forum.

Perhaps one of our wonderful moderators could move it...

best regards, Elizabeth

the gray dog

Sep 7, 2014
merthyr tydfil
Hello Gray Dog,
welcome to talking Point.

I am in awe of your successes with your wife. I think you must have lots of invaluable experience that will help the rest of us who care for loved ones and perhaps in return we can provide you with some companionship - which we all need so much.

I notice your post is in a forum that I haven't visited before and think it may be more visible in the "I have a partner with dementia" forum.

Perhaps one of our wonderful moderators could move it...

best regards, Elizabeth

Thank you Elizabeth for taking the time to reply to me I am not that good on the computer but do my best my wife has not talked for years to me so I started to talk for her only thing i have started to answer back ha ha its only my happy side that's kept me going I think, all of my feelings I have had to hide and turn into a robot I think,. I forgot what human is now.That word companionship its like I life belt to a drowning man.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Welcome from me too. My dad's form of dementia meant his language was particularly affected, so I know how frustrating communication can be - on both sides.

As Elizabeth suggested I have moved this thread to the 'I have a partner with dementia' section of the forum.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello the grey dog welcome to TP you will have lots of people to talk to on this forum its a lifesaver, its only people here who understand what we are going through, l don't know very much about picks as my husband has Alzheimers, can you get out with your wife or is that impossible? ♥♡♥

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Talking Point mobile app

the gray dog

Sep 7, 2014
merthyr tydfil
Hello the grey dog welcome to TP you will have lots of people to talk to on this forum its a lifesaver, its only people here who understand what we are going through, l don't know very much about picks as my husband has Alzheimers, can you get out with your wife or is that impossible? ♥♡♥

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Talking Point mobile app

I cant get out with my wife as she is in bed 24.7 picks is very much the same as Alzheimers but it isent age related it can start in children they don't know much about it 8 to 10 years they say I have been trying to bring my wife back to some sort of normality with a bit of luck on one or two things.thank you for talking to me.

ElizabethAnn

Jan 4, 2014
Northumberland
Good Morning Gray Dog, Hope you and your wife had a good nights sleep.

I was thinking last night about your comment that you have started to talk for your wife AND are answering back :)

I do that all the time when my husband (no dementia) is out of ear shot - it's the only way I get the correct answer :)

You mentioned in your first post about your "faith" and it reminded me that when Mum (82 with Alzheimer's) and Dad (87 - full time carer but not in good health) were feeling a bit isolated I contacted their local church and they now have regular visits from some of the church goers.

You also mentioned that you are fully disabled - are you, or would you be able to get out of the house if there was someone to stay with your wife for a few hours ? I think there are organisations (both charitable and private) that offer this type of service.

Please do keep posting... This forum is great for advice on specific things or if you just feel the need to vent how you are feeling...

There is also the "Tea Room" forum which has a lot of posts that aren't directly related to our carer problems, if you would like a rest from it for a while.

You can find the "Tea Room" by clicking on the "Forum Home" tab at the top left hand side and scrolling down to the "Member's Area" then clicking on the "Tea Room"

Please do keep posting.

Elizabeth.

malomm

Mar 23, 2014
Campania Region, Italy
Welcome from me too, graydog. Sounds like you have a difficult job on your hands. I'd never heard about Pick's disease, so just looked it up. Looks pretty grim, and difficult to deal with. Take my hat off to you; thought I was having a hard time. Keep posting, and if you can
keep smiling.
malomm

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Talking Point mobile app