Long time Diagnosis

ellietel62

Jan 12, 2019
My husband of 56 years diagnosed Alzheimers 11 years has been in a care home for 5 years.
I find it harder as time goes on ,
I get so emotional on seeing couples holding hands as we always did ,and recent holiday programs on Switzerland to places where we had such memories
I just find it so much harder to cope being on my own

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @ellietel62
a warm welcome from me too
folk here are supportive and sympathetic and there certainly are members who sadly are in a similar situation
so, now you've found us, keep posting with anything that's on your mind; it helps to share your experiences

Guzelle

Aug 27, 2016
Sheffield
I feel like that even though my OH is still living with me. But I talk to couples who are going on holidays abroad and I know he couldn’t cope with the travel. We used to enjoy the musical theatre but he can’t cope it’s that anymore. We went to see a Kiss me Kate last week and only managed until the interval, he couldn’t cope with it. It gets harder and harder!

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
My husband of 56 years diagnosed Alzheimers 11 years has been in a care home for 5 years.
I find it harder as time goes on ,
I get so emotional on seeing couples holding hands as we always did ,and recent holiday programs on Switzerland to places where we had such memories
I just find it so much harder to cope being on my own
Welcome. I do so understand about holding hands. I go to see my husband most days in his nursing home and sometimes we can just sit and hold hands. If he falls asleep, I hold his hand gently. We so need this human contact, sweetheart. I do understand. Kindred.x

Jean1234

Mar 19, 2015
Welcome ellietell62
I understand how you are feeling. My OH is now in a care home and trying to get used to doing things not as a couple is very difficult. Seeing other couples walking along doing their shopping together sometimes makes me sad too. I fill my days as much as possible round my visits to see him as coming home to an empty house is the worse. It is getting easier now and I chat away to his photo every day which if anyone saw me would think I’m going mad but I find it a comfort. Unfortunately he can’t hold a conversation when I visit now. TP is a great place for support and understanding so I’m glad you have found us.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
orange77