1. Q&A: Looking after yourself as a carer - Friday 25 January, 3-4pm

As a carer for a person living with dementia, the needs of that person will often come before your own, and this can mean that you don't always look after yourself.

However, it's important for both you and the person you care for. But how do you do that properly?

Our next expert Q&A will be on looking after yourself as a carer. It will be hosted by Angelo from our Knowledge Services team, who focuses on wellbeing. He'll be answering your questions on Friday 25 January between 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Long time Diagnosis

Discussion in 'I have a partner with dementia' started by ellietel62, Jan 12, 2019 at 7:30 PM.

1. ellietel62

ellietel62 New member

Saturday
    My husband of 56 years diagnosed Alzheimers 11 years has been in a care home for 5 years.
    I find it harder as time goes on ,
    I get so emotional on seeing couples holding hands as we always did ,and recent holiday programs on Switzerland to places where we had such memories
    I just find it so much harder to cope being on my own

2. karaokePete

karaokePete Volunteer Host

Jul 23, 2017
    Male
    Hello @ellietel62, welcome to the forum.

You have come to the right place for support from people who understand.

Now that you have found us I hope you keep posting .

3. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    hello @ellietel62
    a warm welcome from me too
    folk here are supportive and sympathetic and there certainly are members who sadly are in a similar situation
    so, now you've found us, keep posting with anything that's on your mind; it helps to share your experiences

4. Guzelle

Guzelle Registered User

Aug 27, 2016
    Sheffield
    I feel like that even though my OH is still living with me. But I talk to couples who are going on holidays abroad and I know he couldn’t cope with the travel. We used to enjoy the musical theatre but he can’t cope it’s that anymore. We went to see a Kiss me Kate last week and only managed until the interval, he couldn’t cope with it. It gets harder and harder!

5. kindred

kindred Registered User

Apr 8, 2018
    Welcome. I do so understand about holding hands. I go to see my husband most days in his nursing home and sometimes we can just sit and hold hands. If he falls asleep, I hold his hand gently. We so need this human contact, sweetheart. I do understand. Kindred.x

6. Jean1234

Jean1234 Registered User

Mar 19, 2015
    Welcome ellietell62
    I understand how you are feeling. My OH is now in a care home and trying to get used to doing things not as a couple is very difficult. Seeing other couples walking along doing their shopping together sometimes makes me sad too. I fill my days as much as possible round my visits to see him as coming home to an empty house is the worse. It is getting easier now and I chat away to his photo every day which if anyone saw me would think I’m going mad but I find it a comfort. Unfortunately he can’t hold a conversation when I visit now. TP is a great place for support and understanding so I’m glad you have found us.