Long Term Memory Loss

Leicester Lad

Nov 23, 2015
Most articles on Alzheimer's imply that it's short term memories that go first. My mum's (87) LONG TERM memory seems to have declined rapidly recently. She struggles with basic crosswords, she can't remember names of dishes the family has been eating for years, can't remember memorable family holidays we had years ago and has no memory of people who were extremely famous during her lifetime or were famous till quite recently. She is aware of, and very frustrated by it. Her short term memory has declined a little, but not nearly so markedly or so worryingly.

Does this sound like early stage Alzheimer's, or normal aging? Should I suggest she goes to see someone?

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to TP :)
I'd get get checked over by the GP & take it from there. Go to the appointment with her so you know what happens.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I agree that it would be wise to have her checked out. My husband started to forget things like favourite holidays and events very early on before diagnosis.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
I agree with the comments but at age of 87 is it a problem that upset her or her family I have dementia myself age 72 yes bad short term memory poor long term memory haven't been able to get the picture in my mind of close relatives face once the passed over or names of people I have known all my life if I meet them but I don't see it as a problem just an obstacle and is it that important well not for me

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My husband has long term memory loss, even though his short-term memory is perfect (he passes the memory tests with flying colours). He has been diagnosed with Accelerated Memory Loss (ALF) as part of Atypical Alzheimers/FTD. His memory now only goes back a few days and anything before that is just fragments.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
sorry its me again obviously I can only speak of my own experences but things I cant remember about the past I dont think about and its only when I'm asked somthing from the past I know cant remember I dont beat myself up about it because its unlikely to make any difference irrispictave of what it was of course there is always a down side
when it involves "£" or somthing with value thats when relatives get upset but as I said perviously not much point woory anout that

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JL513