1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. taylorcat

taylorcat Registered User

Jun 18, 2006
    W.Scotland
    Mum has been in hospital now for 3 months and as soon as a bed becomes available will be going into long term NHS care. What happens about her pension, DLA etc. We currently have a motability car which is due to be returned in March next year.

Thanks.

2. elaineo2

elaineo2 Registered User

Jul 6, 2007
    leigh lancashire
    Hi Taylorcat,I am sure your S?W will advise on this one.You could contact the DWP itself(very friendly people i am told,although my ex works for them!)www.dwp.gov.uk is the web address.hope it helps elainex

3. jenniferpa

jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

Jun 27, 2006
    Taylorcat: assuming we're talking about fully funded NHS Continuing Healthcare, your mother will get to keep her pension. The DLA will be stopped after 28 days, however, according to Page 9 of www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/idcplg?IdcService=GET_FILE&dID=135738&Rendition=Web

The DLA higher rate mobility component will continue to be paid over to Motability’s service providers in relation to a hire purchase/contract hire of a ‘Motability’ vehicle. Any amount of DLA remaining will not be paid over to the customer.

In other words, they will continue to pay for the vehicle until the lease expires. I don't know whether you have to return it before the lease is up though.

4. taylorcat

taylorcat Registered User

Jun 18, 2006
    W.Scotland
    Thanks so much, that's cleared things up.