Long overdue Update!!

hawaii50

I see so many of you are still here continuing to help each other on that long and winding road.
My lovely mum passed away at the end of last year – not from her Alzheimer’s but from complications following a broken hip. She had hip replacement surgery and woke up not knowing what had happened to her. She couldn’t figure out physio and never did walk again – it was really quite tragic. Until that point she happily lived out her days at the nursing home and became very loved by all the staff there – she remained very chatty with everyone although remembered nothing and recognised no-one!! It was the best thing I could have done for her. Hind sight is a wonderful thing!!
I was blessed to be with her when she passed – my flight had been booked since my previous visit six months earlier and I arrived three weeks before she passed. She just gave up and stopped eating. We think she probably had another stroke that affected her swallowing. She never knew who I was for the last 18 months of her life but was always comfortable in my presence – she used to chat away with me telling me she was at Elspeth’s house for dinner last night!! I took comfort from the fact that I was still part of her world even if she didn’t know who I was when I visited!! Her spirit still knew me!!
She carried her soft toys around the nursing home together with her hymn book right up until she broke her hip – she had about four previous falls but had never broken anything.
So now she is at home with the Lord and at peace and I miss her. I still find myself with tears in my eyes when I see someone who has Alzheimer’s or watch a programme on television or see an advertisement for all Alzheimer medications (you get that in the USA!)
These four years of commuting to Scotland for three months at a time were long and very difficult but I wouldn’t have missed them for anything. I now find myself forgetting all the tough times and remembering the funny stories and good times.
I work for a non profit organization in Hawaii as an assistant to the director – her father was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s a month after I started. So I am now part of her journey – and so it goes on!!!
I send you all my best wishes and appreciate so much the support you gave me at a time I desperately needed it. Bless you all.
Elspeth

Cl13

Feb 19, 2009
Cumbria uk
Hello Elspeth, nice to hear from you, I dont know you I'm afraid, I only joined TP Feb this year but I found this place to be a life saver, I would have lost it for sure if I had been without all these lovely people.
Its sad when we hear of our friends losing our loved ones and offering our condolences never seems enough.
I wish you well in the future.

Take care

Love Lynn x :)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Elspeth

Thank you for your post and update.
Please accept my deepest sympathy and sincere condolences on the loss of your mother.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Elspeth:

Thank you for a lovely post but it is sad to hear the news of your Mother.

It seems your experience of this 'long and winding road' is not in vain as maybe you can now help your 'director' as she also goes along this route.

I hope you can keep in touch with TP

Jan

scarletpauline

Jul 19, 2009
Leicestershire
What a lovely post, I haven't been a member here for long but there are some wonderful people on here. Your mother sounds lovely, although she didn't visibly recognise you, I feel she knew it was you and that was why she was so comfortable with you. Please accept my condolences, a mother is a precious thing. Love Pauline xx