Long Haul Travel

pussycat

Jan 22, 2006
cheshire
Hello, Can anyone give me advice please ?. My husband and I were due to go to Australia recently to visit family there but my husband who has alzheimers and is on Aricept became ill and had to have an operation.So the trip was cancelled. Since the op the alz seems to have worsened somewhat although he is very calm, pleasant and smiles a lot. Our son now wants us to rebook our trip and go and spend sometime with him and his family, I feel unsure about the journey, whether or not it will make Jeff worse I am also worried about going through security at the airports as Jeff can't seem to follow instructions unless he is spoken to calmly . I just want to do the best for everyone and I am not sure what that is. I have even considered going B.class as that might be less stressful and it will most likely be our last trip there. Any advice would be most welcome. Thank you, pussycat

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Pussycat

Cannot help with advice about the long journey, but would your husband agree to go through the airport in a wheelchair, then he would be less stressed in queues (you go straight through) and it will be easier for you to help at the security check, hope this helps.

Helen

hongkongsandy

Mar 3, 2009
uk
Hi, I took my mum to see my sister in Hong Kong, back when she scored 22 on mmse. I was worried about the journey but that wasn't to bad in the end. Letting the airline know in advance helped, they gave us ok seats and we could board 1st.

However I was not expecting the jetlag to hit her as hard as it did. She did not adjust to the sleep pattern and hardly slept for the 1st few days. Her general confusion level was much higher as a result (elevating from not bad to not knowing who I was at all at times). I think if we had sleeping pills this would have helped. Eventually as the tiredness past things went back to normal but this wasn't until after we had returned home.

I don't want to put you off but I think it helps to be prepared. Mum did enjoy the trip but it was pretty hard work for me.

Mariondb

Aug 24, 2011
Obviously check with your Doctor - he will have to give a fit to fly notice for insurance. You also have to ask whether you making this trip for him, your son or you -that is also important. It is pretty easy for your son to want the trip because unless something goes wrong in Aus he won't actually be involved too much.

I personally feel it is one hell of a long way to go for someone with health problems both physical and mental. We persuaded my MIL 2 years ago not to attempt a similar trip and we firmly believe it would not have done her any good at all even though at that stage she hadn't been diagnosed with Vas Dem, but she did have physical restrictions and medical conditions that might cause problems.

It is a huge risk.

It is all questions and what ifs I am afraid. Will you enjoy it or will the worry make it a nightmare. Will he enjoy it. Is the risk worth it, what if he is taken ill in stopover or in Aus.....

How about giving your son the money and getting him to come over instead....

pussycat

Jan 22, 2006
cheshire
Thanks for your advice, I shall have to think long and hard about what to do, I certainly wouldn't want to put my husband under any more stress. I discovered today that he has forgotten all about his operation which was only a month ago. Maybe it will be best if I do give our son the money for him to visit instead. I shall also discuss things with the GP and see what she thinks.