Long car journey

Niki B

Jul 27, 2020
Hi, I'm new to this forum, but I get the impression that there's lots of experience out there. My dad has fairly severe dementia and he and my mum are soon moving to live near my sister. It's a 4 hour journey which my husband and I will be doing with them. My mum is 89 and fine. she's excited about the move. My question is about making the car journey as easy as possible for my dad. Any advice would be very welcome. Thanks

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to DTP @Niki B
Personally, I would keep the car as cool & quiet as possible. Plan your stop. Use services that will be quieter.
Good luck.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Make sure that there are drinks, snacks and his favourite cake/sweets easily at hand to distract him en route when you cant stop.

Have a bag easily accessible with a change of clothes and everything needed to clean him up in case of accidents. If he is actually incontinent (or, at least, having lots of accidents during the day) get a kylie sheet or other absorbent pad to put on the car seat

Also, put the child locks on so that he cant open the door.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Does your dad fiddle with things? My husband did and I needed to keep things in the car he could fiddle with - I always had a twiddle muff and magazines that he could look through -well tear to bits if I’m being honest. Just a thought.

He’d be best in the back seat so that he can’t reach for controls.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh yes! If you haven’t already got a radar key, get one! The disabled loos in service stations are often locked and it’s much easier if you have your own key. You can get them on Amazon too.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Oh yes! If you haven’t already got a radar key, get one! The disabled loos in service stations are often locked and it’s much easier if you have your own key.

Oh yes, very important! You can buy them online.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Does he still watch anything on TV? I was thinking if he did perhaps a musical or something on an ipad would keep him occupied.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
In my mother's case I would have preferred straitjacket, handcuffs, a gag and probably shut in the boot on top of a pile of kylies.
When we took her out she'd be fine at first then suddenly turn wild, shouting, waving her arms about, opening the door (eek!), grabbing whoever was nearest, including by boyfriend's collar nearly choking him while he was driving. So as @canary says, don't let him near the driver.

She then angrily told my boyfriend that he'd made her sit on a wet seat.... hmmm. Wonder how that happened?

JGDMG

May 5, 2020
I suppose there's no chance he would sleep, with the motion of the car. You never know! Good luck