Lonely

Philpsie

Jan 6, 2016
My husband has dementia, he’s in respite at the moment so I can have a couple of weeks away with family. Most of the time I find looking after my husband a real slog, others talk about it as though it’s a privilege but I’m not one of them. I really couldn't even remember what he was like before he was ill. I needed a break so have two weeks off but on the second week away I find I’m missing him, not the ill him but the one he used to be! So this lovely break away has bought back my memory of how we were before, now I’m feeling very sad and lonely.

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
My husband has dementia, he’s in respite at the moment so I can have a couple of weeks away with family. Most of the time I find looking after my husband a real slog, others talk about it as though it’s a privilege but I’m not one of them. I really couldn't even remember what he was like before he was ill. I needed a break so have two weeks off but on the second week away I find I’m missing him, not the ill him but the one he used to be! So this lovely break away has bought back my memory of how we were before, now I’m feeling very sad and lonely.
Oh kiddo ... how much I feel your pain. Nothing I can say will make you feel any better but please take care of yourself and enjoy every moment you can.I suppose we, the carers, have the memories of happier times. Don't make the slogging along any easier though, does it? (((HUGS))) to you and don't forget to (((HUG))) yourself.

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
@Philipsie.....welcome to the forum......we may not be able to give you a real hug but there are lots of virtual ones flying around here! Yes, once you know about dementia it is amazing how little 'outsiders' know, and the assumptions they make. Really, until you have cared for a pwd (which I haven't....we are overseas) or have read a lot of personal stories (which I have on this forum) it is almost impossible to imagine the stress, frustration and heartbreak. Please stay with the forum, there are so many people who can offer advice and support....many are walking in your shoes x

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Good morning Philsie, I can imagine how it must be, I think we are all grieving for what was, we slog away, think we are managing then something happens to bring it back. Usually a happy event that suddenly stabs us in the back. This loneliness seems unbearable but somehow we live to fight another day. Try to enjoy the rest of the break, be kind to yourself on this roller coaster of emotions. Xxx

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar