London Support Groups?

Lee

Oct 14, 2004
Sidcup
I care for my aunt whose has early stage dementia. I am trying to combine caring with work and am very keen to meet with others in a similar position. I suspect that many carers groups cater for older people or careres who have given up work.

I am self employed and work from home in South East London.

Is there anyone else in London who wouldlike to meet to compare note on life as a "working carer"?

Thanks

Lee

Oct 14, 2004
Sidcup
Nada

Hi

I am aware of the branch structure but am more interested in meeting with people with a more specific agenda- namely how to continue caringwhilst working.

My local group meets at a time I cann't attend.

Thanks

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hello Lee

I live just outside London and I cared for my wife Jan, an Early Onset patient, from 1991 - 2001 at home, while holding down a full time job 50 miles away. She has been in a care home since 2001, and I have maintained my caring role since she has been there [of course!] and also kept my job until April this year.

I have some experience in this area and am happy to share it.

Talking Point is a good place to do that because everyone all over can then share and participate, if it is relevant. I don't think there is a great necessity to meet in the same room?

Best of luck,

Last edited:

Lee

Oct 14, 2004
Sidcup
Bruce

Thanks

I guess I am a very verbal person so prefer face to face than pc to pc it is also in my view a more effective way of communicating. For instance I find message boards with posts with little substance quite frustrating- life is busy enough without that too.

I am not sure if I need to ask lots of questions on TP or would be better off just meeting people who have been there. A recent post here produced a number of clarification and simple advice responses which I wasn't really looking for. I would rather just be clear in my communication without the complications of needingto explain eg every technical phrase. I trust I dont seem angry but Iam a tad frustrated with message boards in general.

The ideal for me then is to meet other carers who have combined caring with a professional self employed job working from home. I dont know any other media than TP to find them but Iam also sure TP is not the idea media to conduct discussions, at least not for me.

All the best

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Lee

I appreciate your point of view but...

With Talking Point, we are all carers of one variety or another. Read the messages posted here - people are locked into their caring - it is the only way - and find it hard enough to get out to buy food sometimes. There is only a small chance you will find someone with the relevant experience - in your area - who can make it to a face to face meeting.

Good luck, I hope you are successful!

Kriss

May 20, 2004
Shropshire
Hello Lee

I think Bruce has hit the nail on the head again - he has a knack of doing it. The nature of the problem means there is very little time and space and energy to "get out and about" as much as many would like to.

I lost my Dad almost 2 years ago and even with my Aunt now in the safety of a home I struggle to fit in the things that need my attention. Travelling up and down to visit, maintaining her finances, sorting out her house and belongings and organising things to make her smile (Birthday parties, photo's etc) all demand time that wasn't spare before. I am now starting to feel guilty that my Mum isn't getting the attention she deserves - I don't want to look back in a few years time and think "I wish we had...". It's taken a mini crisis at my sons college for me to recognise that he has not been getting the attention he needs of late and all of the extra hours I used to put in at work as a matter of course have ceased - the result? - I'm behind, under pressure, and stressed. The only area I can safely cut back on is "my time". It seems like its never ending I'm afraid.

The PC is the 5 minutes here and there tool that has become a real saviour to many TP'ers. Keep doing what you have started - post simple and short questions, we'll try to behave ourselves and keep to the point with our offerings! You'll notice it is usually the really gloomy stuff that ends up bringing tears of laughter as the postings get silly - you'll have to forgive us, its just a way of coping with reality.

I hope you find someone who you can converse face to face with but you may be stuck with the professionals and they can be either very good or useless (haven't seen much evidence of an inbetween breed).

Good luck
Kriss

C

Chesca

Lee

If your local AS group meets at a time you are unable to attend, perhaps you could phone during the day, explain your predicament and I'm pretty sure somebody will make themselves available to you at some mutually convenient time.

Chesca