Logopenic Aphasic Variant

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @AngelinaBallerina and welcome from me too.

My wife has this aspect to her dementia. My wife was a true wordsmith(winning prizes for the Times crossword and the like) so it is so sad watching her slowly lose her language skills. We are now 4-5 years since diagnosis and at times I have to tell my wife that I just don't know what she is trying to say( as it just comes out as gibberish). Most of the time we make something of a game of it as I can often guess what she's trying to say.

One aspect that has become more troublesome is the loss of understanding in relation to what I'm saying. An example would be if I ask my wife to get the milk from the fridge and she may not understand either 'milk' or 'fridge' so I have to point at whatever I'm talking about - which can be awkward if I'm busy with something. I also have to talk very slowly and deliberately otherwise my wife can't follow what is being said.

If you have any question just ask and I'll see if my experience has given me an answer.

The collective experience and knowledge of the Forum's members is vast so you are in the right place for support

AngelinaBallerina

Feb 12, 2021
Hello @AngelinaBallerina and welcome from me too.

My wife has this aspect to her dementia. My wife was a true wordsmith(winning prizes for the Times crossword and the like) so it is so sad watching her slowly lose her language skills. We are now 4-5 years since diagnosis and at times I have to tell my wife that I just don't know what she is trying to say( as it just comes out as gibberish). Most of the time we make something of a game of it as I can often guess what she's trying to say.

One aspect that has become more troublesome is the loss of understanding in relation to what I'm saying. An example would be if I ask my wife to get the milk from the fridge and she may not understand either 'milk' or 'fridge' so I have to point at whatever I'm talking about - which can be awkward if I'm busy with something. I also have to talk very slowly and deliberately otherwise my wife can't follow what is being said.

If you have any question just ask and I'll see if my experience has given me an answer.

The collective experience and knowledge of the Forum's members is vast so you are in the right place for support

AngelinaBallerina

Feb 12, 2021
Hiya that is just as my husband is. He cannot deal with a long sentence he cannot compute it. And he does the same i ask him to put something in the fridge it goes in the cupboard or freezer. His comprehension has dipped a lot and he was a very educated man. I have a bit of an issue not knowing the best thing to do. He falls asleep after dinner in the evening (and most afternoons) and when i attempt to wake him he will come around but be quite groucy and a bit confused takes me ages to get him to understand its time for bed - despite my efforts to keep him awake during the evening. One incident he woke and walking around looking for something but was unable to say or indicate what he was looking for. I called his son at 10pm as i was quite worried and he came and asked his dad what he was looking for we did not find out and eventually got his night meds info him and went to bed. The next morning he recalled nothing of the evening even speaking to his son. Any ideas how i can better deal with this situation, every night is becoming stressful for me - i am disabled with bad knees and not easy as it is to deal with stuff. Thank you.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Would it help if he went to bed earlier @AngelinaBallerina ?
My OH now needs a lot of sleep and rather than getting him to nap in the afternoon, which can cause similar problems, I encourage him to have early nights. He will often go to bed at 8.30 pm and then I wake him at 9.00am in the morning. If hes regularly falling asleep after dinner he obviously needs the extra sleep and perhaps it would be better to just get him to bed.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I recognise everything you have written @AngelinaBallerina. (By the way, my wife would love that I'm talking to someone with a forum name like yours as she was NI champion at ballet some 10 years in a row).

Diversion is best when it comes to looking for things - I often find my wife looking for something but not knowing what she's looking for and I divert with an offer of a cuppa or a TV program because I know she won't remember the search once she's been diverted.

People with many forms of dementia lose the ability to make memory, rather than forget things. Indeed, this is one of the reasons for what people call 'wandering'. A person with dementia will have a reason for setting out on a walk/search but once they set off they won't recall why they started the walk/search - the brain keeps telling them that they need to walk/search so they just keep going. They are walking/searching with a purpose but because the purpose isn't remembered they are accused of 'wandering'. On that point, my wife will head for the door, even undressed in the middle of the night, so I have deadlocks on the doors and keep the keys in my pockets. That's one to keep on top of as getting lost outside can become a safeguarding issue and bring results that may not be welcome.

Ask away with any questions.