locks for fridge and cupboards

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo everybody, how are you all doing.

It's a fairly minor thing, but a worry nonetheless. I only popped out for an hour and a half just to stretch my legs and have a quick pint. When I came back C had eaten a whole pack of raspberries, 3 slices of ham and a pack of prawns. That was after a full roast dinner.
Good to know her dementia has not diminished her appetite I suppose. :D However, she has diabetes and it's only 7 months since a mini stroke put her in hospital over night. I did buy some cheap plastic clips for locking the fridge, but they were no good. Can anyone recommend a good solid lock for fridge and cupboard I don't need to buy online?
Thanks,

Rob

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi nae sporran
I'd guess that a local shop for children's stuff might well have these; guessing that parents buy them when they have toddlers - or Argos?

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Thanks Shedrech. Argos and Mothercare both have some potential locking systems. It's nice of you to help me when panic empties the old brain.

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Thanks Shedrech. Argos and Mothercare both have some potential locking systems. It's nice of you to help me when panic empties the old brain.

Glad you found locking systems. Just a gentle hint from me. When you go out can you leave out some small snacks? Trying to open a locked fridge can be very frustrating so a few snacks should help.

Aisling

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Glad you found locking systems. Just a gentle hint from me. When you go out can you leave out some small snacks? Trying to open a locked fridge can be very frustrating so a few snacks should help.

Aisling

Fair point, Aisling. I usually leave a few plum tomatoes, and should do next time just in case.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Fair point, Aisling. I usually leave a few plum tomatoes, and should do next time just in case.

Definitely leave some food out and easy to find. When I had this problem and I could still leave mum alone I did get a child lock, a really good one, but mum pulled and pulled on the fridge door that she pulled the handle off, for a short time I had to use a shoe horn to get into it!

jknight

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire
Hullo everybody, how are you all doing.

It's a fairly minor thing, but a worry nonetheless. I only popped out for an hour and a half just to stretch my legs and have a quick pint. When I came back C had eaten a whole pack of raspberries, 3 slices of ham and a pack of prawns. That was after a full roast dinner.
Good to know her dementia has not diminished her appetite I suppose. :D However, she has diabetes and it's only 7 months since a mini stroke put her in hospital over night. I did buy some cheap plastic clips for locking the fridge, but they were no good. Can anyone recommend a good solid lock for fridge and cupboard I don't need to buy online?
Thanks,

Rob

Chuckle!

Gosh I relate to this!

Mum has Weetabix with double cream for breakfast. She then makes a sandwich at lunchtime. This is closely followed by meals on wheels (she eats the meat, leaves the veg but always eats the pudding!)
Teatime is a sandwich & yoghurt. In between there are bananas, cakes, magnum style ice creams (interestingly no matter what she forgets, she never forgets there are ice creams in the freezer!)
Mum is gaining weight at an alarming rate (I agree with you, it's preferable to not eating)
Mum has an echocardiogram booked for next week. I have to take an accurate height/weight measurement! Could be interesting!

Much love to you & C

J xxxxx

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Chuckle!

Gosh I relate to this!

Mum has Weetabix with double cream for breakfast. She then makes a sandwich at lunchtime. This is closely followed by meals on wheels (she eats the meat, leaves the veg but always eats the pudding!)
Teatime is a sandwich & yoghurt. In between there are bananas, cakes, magnum style ice creams (interestingly no matter what she forgets, she never forgets there are ice creams in the freezer!)
Mum is gaining weight at an alarming rate (I agree with you, it's preferable to not eating)
Mum has an echocardiogram booked for next week. I have to take an accurate height/weight measurement! Could be interesting!

Much love to you & C

J xxxxx

Thanks for the advice Tin, sorry it comes from unpleasant experience.

Good luck with the echo cardiogram Jenny. Hope it gives some clues to why your mum is falling. Can the nurse or doctor not take the height and weight measurements? They should be trained, I've seen a few techniques in hospital.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I have taken to putting food in less obvious places as my wife will feed anything to the dog - she is not bothered for herself - today for example he has had half a pack of duck and orange pate that was meant for our lunch tomorrow. I was only in the next room polishing the furniture but she managed to sneak in and feed him, ignoring his treats in the adjacent cupboard. But so far a lock seems one step too far ...

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I have taken to putting food in less obvious places as my wife will feed anything to the dog - she is not bothered for herself - today for example he has had half a pack of duck and orange pate that was meant for our lunch tomorrow. I was only in the next room polishing the furniture but she managed to sneak in and feed him, ignoring his treats in the adjacent cupboard. But so far a lock seems one step too far ...

I remember this time so well. My mum once put down a fillet of beef for the dog. Other times Smoked Salmon. She was continually feeding the dog from her plate, but not before she gave it a good chew in her own mouth. There was a time when I really thought the dog was going to end up in the vets for serious food poisoning of a sort.

It does not happen that much now, but if mum has anything that she really likes she feels compelled to share it with the dog. I had to resort to locking the dog out of the dining room at meal times.

sue_1

Mar 29, 2017
Bristol
I thought only my mum raided the fridge when I was not looking lol, we bought another fridge it's tucked away behind kitchen door and we keep the kitchen bin in front of it, we keep anything in there that we would rather mum didn't have or was needed for meals.the other fridge has mainly snacks, soft drinks and some milk so mum can help herself but she will only do this when she thinks we are not looking ( think she may be a secret eater lol )

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
We don't have a dog, so one less thing to worry about.

Funny thing after eating all the unhealthy food on Sunday C ignored the sandwich I left in the kitchen this morning and refused a wee slice of chocolate cake I brought back from carers group.

Not got a lock yet, taking a bit of time to decide on the best plan after your cautionary feedback.

JaquelineM

Jan 8, 2017
north london

hello northumbrian_k , just had to say I'm impressed to hear you were polishing the furniture ( or was it a joke ? ) I haven't even managed to do any dusting for weeks myself ! Shame about the duck and orange pate :)

Debstar71

Apr 19, 2021
Hi dad got Alzheimer’s n vascular dementia finding that his always hungry now need eyes everywhere found him drinking washing up liquid n eating anything he. An get his hands on also couple of days ago trying to drink the flash gel floor cleaner need door locks n cupboard tried child fridge lock on fridge but he gets that open by keep pulling at it HELP

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hi dad got Alzheimer’s n vascular dementia finding that his always hungry now need eyes everywhere found him drinking washing up liquid n eating anything he. An get his hands on also couple of days ago trying to drink the flash gel floor cleaner need door locks n cupboard tried child fridge lock on fridge but he gets that open by keep pulling at it HELP
Hullo and welcome to the forum, Debstar. Sorry there's not much I can offer, but a care needs assessment from Social Services looks like a priority for your dad. You will get support here, so keep reading and posting.

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
My OH won’t go in the fridge but raids the biscuit cupboards, so I keep them nearly empty, and he attempts to feed the dog again because he doesn’t believe I have fed her.

Debstar71

Apr 19, 2021
Hullo and welcome to the forum, Debstar. Sorry there's not much I can offer, but a care needs assessment from Social Services looks like a priority for your dad. You will get support here, so keep reading and posting.
Adult social services are coming round but it doesn’t happen all the time the eating does though you have to be a hawk he was trying to eat a raw egg n got very annoyed when I asked for the egg because I said it’s for cooking n il exchange it fir something he can eat not seen him get like that shouting n angry I lay a plate out for him with eatables out on side n in garage where he was eating raw potatoes

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
its not one of his tablets that is making feel hungry? some anti-depressants and steroids make you hungry. my mums cancer had spread to her brain, they gave her steroids and she was literally licking the jam off the bread if she had a jam sandwich.